PDA

View Full Version : My first attempt at rat breeding...

KolleenJ
06-15-02, 01:34 AM
I have a now prego female and My question is...can I keep 2 females and 1 male together all the time? Tha cage is Huge, and Im only doing it because I have a WC ball that will only take live. So I only need a few a month. Let me know anything I need to know. Thanks!!

Dom
06-15-02, 05:21 AM
Yes you can ..

You could keep as many females as you'd like in one cage with one male .. As long as you dont put more than one male.

Also, you can add females at all time in your cage EXCEPT when the mother is weaning .. she will even attack oter females..

Have fun! I love breeding rats! If only it was that easy with snakes!

Kind regards,
Dom

KolleenJ
06-15-02, 05:50 AM
Hey thanks Dom!!!!! Youre Great!!!:thumbsup:

patricia
06-17-02, 03:08 AM
if you're going to keep them together all the time, you should expect to be overrun with offspring. Each of the does will produce an average of about 12-to-14 babies per litter, and will become pregnant again within a few days of weaning the babies.

You'll need to have a market for the excess babies. There's no way that one WC python can eat all of them for you.

KolleenJ
06-18-02, 02:34 AM
Since I have a total of about 65 mouths to feed, I think Ill NEVER have enough...lol
I feed all my snakes f/t but this one girl will only eat live.

On another note, my first female had 7 babies today. She was actually bought as a feeder, but as I was going to throw her in, I noticed she was prego, hence her life is spared.(for now)

I just figured I should have a small supply of live around for those just-in-case things that tend to pop up now and then especially all the babies that have been hatching lately.

Thanks for the advice all.........

python146
07-11-02, 01:29 PM
3 cages with 1 male and a few females in each and breed your own food(for the snakes that is)youd save money on f/t:)

reverendsterlin
08-04-02, 10:53 PM
males and extra females will sometimes cannablize

Linds
08-05-02, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by reverendsterlin
males and extra females will sometimes cannablize

Males and extra females will cannabilize?? IMO it's not worth it to breed in 1.1 colonies. I have never heard of cannabilism as a result of having numerous females. As long as they are kept with a low stress level in mind, and no new animals are added while there are young in the cage there shouldnt be any problems.