PDA

View Full Version : Illegal herps?

SnowFoxx
05-05-03, 12:47 PM
How many of you knowingly own herps that are not legal in your area? What herps, why, and how do you handle vet visits?

- Victoria :w

Matt
05-05-03, 12:52 PM
i think you might have trouble getting people to admit to any illegal keeping here!

i may be wrong!

SnowFoxx
05-05-03, 01:00 PM
Hey, the poll itself is anonymous! I *ahem* have a friend who has a couple of illegal herps, personally. Anyone else with a *ahem* fiend who keeps them?

- Victoria :w

Tim and Julie B
05-05-03, 02:16 PM
I have a friend with a native Canadian species of turtle (unknown species of course) that probably isn't supposed to be somewhere. I am not entirerly sure though. It might depend on the province.

jay76
05-05-03, 06:01 PM
Don't have any, don't really want any since pretty much only local species are illegal. Even hots are legal to own but not sell if that makes any sense. But, if I *happened* to notice say a nice garter, it might just decide to follow me home... ;)

Xetox
05-05-03, 06:15 PM
In missouri nothing is really illegal...sotasay.....if you are breeding vems you have to have a permit and if you breed local herps you have to have a permit other than that there are none that I know of

ReptiZone
05-06-03, 01:29 AM
I have a friend that worked his way round the system to aquire a cuban crocodiale if that counts

NewLineReptile
05-06-03, 01:43 AM
I'll never tell HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!
just kidding nothing i have is illegal or is it?
:)

Emily-Fisher
05-06-03, 05:13 AM
I have a grey treefrog but the wildlife people know but didn't do anything about it so maybe they aren't illegal in Montreal?

Lizzy001
05-06-03, 11:38 AM
lol...the poll suggests that MOST of us would break the law for ' the right herp'

U find out something new EVERY day!!
* i voted ' for the right herp'* hee hee!

Dom
05-06-03, 12:18 PM
lol there just by-laws.. it really does not mean anything.. There simply therefor ppl who go overboard and are only reenforced if u get complaints. Keep to youself. Be selective of who knows what u have around your erea and u will be fine. (alwasy have a back up plan in case though :))

The only true laws around here are no venemous.. wich I have not..

Burmese python.. Kingston has no by-laws.. so unless u have venemous animals.. all of your pets a legal :)

Lizzy001
05-06-03, 01:23 PM
ahhh..thanks for explainin!! :)

Herp guy
05-06-03, 01:40 PM
I have a plains garter from Kelleys island. Your not alowwed to take any animals out of the island. Oppss. I alsio have a Lak Ereie water snake, which is endangered. Its small and i am going to let it go when its full grown. yes, for the right herp iwould. Id really like a green tree python

Tinytim12333
05-20-03, 12:44 PM
As far as i know hear in arizona it is illeagal to sell wild-caught any thing. And u cant keep Native wild caught reptiles.
But i would do it for the right type. like a diamondback rattle snake i.e. the name of our baseball team "Daimondbacks". The team who won the 2001 world series.

fateamber
05-20-03, 02:33 PM
I have no idea what is illegal where i live maybe i should try to find out?

iguanaman001
05-20-03, 02:44 PM
I own what is somewhat illegal in Canada. But I will NEVER tell what I own!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think this poll is somewhat unjustified. I am sure the majority of us own animals that are illegal.

killaclown
05-20-03, 02:52 PM
It a;; depends why they are illagal say if it was on the endanger species list i wouldnt own it unles it was CB but if was so called "dangerous" i know how much i can or can not handle

Lisa
05-20-03, 03:34 PM
I found out after we moved out of durham that boids of any size are against the durham by-laws Which is a real shame cause if we were 2 streets over we would have been in a different county.

We are currently house hunting and we are checking that we don't break any by-laws, we don't want to repeat the situation another member went through a while back (he bought a house and moved in only to find out he couldn't have ANY snakes).

stretch
05-20-03, 07:10 PM
I also have a friend that owns a snake that is kind of illegal. (You need a permit to have it). My friend doesn't have a permit :)

blondee32725
05-22-03, 09:00 AM
Are aligator snapping turtles illegal, I know a guy who has 6!

dave
05-25-03, 08:13 PM
I want a monkey!:) j/k

T.O-SK8TER
06-20-03, 12:11 AM
I live in durham and you cant have any snake that gets over 6 feet.

dfitzsim
06-20-03, 12:28 PM
If you live in NYC all your reptiles are illegal along with all kinds of other animals like Ferrets which are domesticated. Its bull crap. There used to be a fantastic shop in Flushing queens that only sold reptiles. I bought a few of them several years ago and now they are out of business because of the dopes in city hall.

python_diva_06
06-25-03, 10:50 AM
nothing is iilegal in VA...that i know of...:|

reptiledude21
06-25-03, 10:54 AM
i dont think snapping turtles are illegal unless u take them from a nature reserve.

dank7oo
06-25-03, 11:56 AM
i know i would ... well .. .only if the right cham came along - :D

Zephyr
06-25-03, 12:33 PM
Yeah I have a...friend..with a wild caught 2 week old baby native snake, gopher snake i think. He wants to keep it cause it fed right away on a thawed mouse and is very tame. I told him of the fines possible but he said nobdoys going to look in his house and catch him. :S He's hooped if it gets sick and needs a vet, if vets even know the laws.

burmer
07-06-03, 12:53 PM
I have all kinds that pass through my yard on a daily basis. We have rattlers and corals, but you need the permits for hots. We also have gopher tortises which are extremly protected. And the crown jewel for me would be an indigo snake. They are a no no to keep in Florida. It kills me that I live here and can't have one. We also have a good sized gator in our front lake.

Mike177
07-06-03, 03:19 PM
well it depends with me, like my burm and stuff are aganst city ordance but i dont care! but i would never take a endangerd snake out of the wild and keep it (unless it was hurt but i would relese it)

Lisa
07-09-03, 07:40 PM
Here is a list of herps that are protected/restricted in ontario and various ontario cities. Contrary to popular belief venomous are NOT illegal in ontario (though they are in various cities)

http://www.ontarioherpers.org/laws/

HerpHannah
07-12-03, 04:49 PM
Naaa...havin an illegal herp is baaaaad-and im not just sayin dat 2 b good

HerpHannah
07-12-03, 04:51 PM
Naaa...havin an illegal herp is baaaaad-and im not just sayin dat 2 b good or nethin lol :)
u could get really attched 2 ur herp {like i do wiv mine} and if sum1 found out...they would like...take it away and ill b heart-broken {i lurve my herps!!!} plus, u would get in real deep s**t
lol u no wat im sayin???

herpsltd
07-12-03, 05:24 PM
yes gangsta dog j

Jungle Jen
07-12-03, 05:48 PM
I have a pet rescue organization, and there is a person wanting to give up their turtle to me. From the research I have done it sounds and looks like a Western Painted Turtle. I *think* they are illegal here, as I think they are indigenous to BC. Does anyone have any information pertaining to this? So it looks like I will be owning an illegal animal, maybe?!?!

I do know of someone else, yes this really is someone else and not me, who keeps garter snakes and rubber boas. Both of which are indigenous to BC.

JaredAren
08-07-03, 02:15 AM
I would never own anything that is illegal, anymore. I had a brush with some animal control officers in the late 90's and came away with an eviction notice and $500 in fines. My landlord was not happy that I had man eating monsters in his building. I was given two tickets for harboring dangerous animals. Bullsnakes (even albinos) are illegal to own in Iowa without a special permit. Live and learn. LOL

http://www.ssnakess.com/photopost/data/509/2894dscn3655-med.jpg
I knew I could find a pic of one of these somewhere.:D

Skink Keeper
08-22-03, 10:19 PM
just a ball python, but come on, wats wrong with having a ball python. You can't have anything where i live.