PDA

View Full Version : My savs:)

snakemann87
05-04-03, 04:30 PM
Hey, today at the show I purchased two CB savannah monitors. Here are their pics. The guy said that they are good to house in pairs. I haven't heard this before so I got the last two and they arent very close in size. Right now they are housed seperately, but if you guys think its ok to house the two then they will be put together. Of course their feeding will be monitored.

Here is the smaller of the two.
http://gallery.reptilerap.com/data/507/116sav_1_2-med.jpg
http://gallery.reptilerap.com/data/507/116sav_1_1-med.jpg

Now the biggest of the two.
http://gallery.reptilerap.com/data/507/116sav_2-med.jpg
http://gallery.reptilerap.com/data/507/116sav_2_2-med.jpg

Tell me what you think of them, and your opinion on if they are able to be housed together. Oh yeah, I know what to feed them, except I have heard both stories on meat(hamburger etc.). Should they be fed this?? If so cooked or not.

ReptiZone
05-04-03, 04:43 PM
I wouldent think hamburger would be something to feed a monitor but I have feed them stake and they seem to take it down like pro's. I never worked with sav's so I dont know much about housimg them but some one will come in a fill the blank's for you I am shoure

Steeve B
05-04-03, 04:46 PM
looks like you have a pair, dont know who sold them to you but usualy they can't sex them! if you keep them together seperate the male when feeding, he can damage her. also forget about the meat stuf, stick to rodents and insect only!
Rgds

snakemann87
05-04-03, 04:49 PM
ok, im gonna feed mainly insects, and a mouse every 2 or 3 weeks(that sounds right right...lol). He didnt sell them labeled as a pair, i just got two in hoping they are a pair. If not then oh well it doesnt make that big of a difference. I just thought the idea of breeding them in a few years would be cool since most of the savs are imports.

V.hb
05-05-03, 07:20 AM
steak and hamburger are great food sources........for people!!:)

savannahs, like steve said should be exclusvily on insects for a majority of their first year. If you feed them enough and well they should be quite large after a year. Once too large for insects give them rodents. I've never rushed the rodent thing on any of my animals, its far easier to feed insects in quantity when they are young.

snakemann87
05-05-03, 08:24 AM
OK I wasnt planning on the meat diet unless it was suggested. Oh and are you saying to feed them rodents primarily at age 1??? I was under the impression from reading that they should be fed smlall amounts of rodents every 2-3 weeks, since there is little evidence that they even eat rodents in the wild.

V.hb
05-05-03, 04:06 PM
I didnt imply that you were going too :)

Pinks here and there are ok, fuzzies,hoppers.. But insects are much better.. However the 2-3 week thing is ok just dont make it an every day habbit.

snakemann87
05-05-03, 04:23 PM
Ok, i didnt say that you said i was gonna feed them:) Thats what i was planning on. I just got done feeding them, my bigger one didnt eat alot, but my little one did. He ate 5 mealies yesterday, 12 today, and 2 big crickets today also.

marylyn101
05-05-03, 05:03 PM
set some crickets loose in the cage and then they can get exercise as well.

snakemann87
05-05-03, 05:07 PM
Ive been doing that, and im also hiding the mealworms around his enclosure, he really enjoys looking for them. When he sees one his tail stiffens and he stalks it, its so cute.

V.hb
05-05-03, 05:53 PM
Thats really good! encouraging them to dig for mealies.

Go find some clean sterile dirt outside, Stuff that holds a burrow... You can usually tell if it will if you can dig it yourself and it doesnt crumble.. Not sure what you're housing them in but put all the dirt in something deep (hopefully your enclosure is) and give them 12 inches of dirt roughly.. If you enjoy watching them chase food, you'll love watching them make burrows.. It's really cool.

If you already did this, sorry. Just some suggestions

LdyDrgn
05-05-03, 05:54 PM
When they get bigger you can get some Madagascan Giant Hissing cockroaches to help supplement the rodent diet. :)

snakemann87
05-05-03, 05:56 PM
Awesome V.hb i will definately do that for them, it would be AWESOME. Also are the cockroaches expensive??

LdyDrgn
05-05-03, 06:24 PM
not too bad. You can easily set up a breeding colony for a minimal amount of money :)

snakemann87
05-07-03, 08:34 AM
yesterday i made each of them a box where they climb up a ramp then turn into it and climb down another, its like a little castle they really like it. They also enjoy the pieces of paper towel i put in the cage.They are so cute and funny to watch. When i figure out how to get digital camera vidoe to work ill have some vidoe of these vicious guys eating and playing.