PDA

View Full Version : "Taming" monitors?

Kyle Barker
05-03-03, 12:21 AM
I am trying to find some good info on "taming" my savannah. I am in no way trying to be able to hold it, and couldn't care less if it wants to shred me to peices, however I am having a hard time getting him to stay out and eat/bask & do all the normall activities. Whenever he/she even catches a glance at anything that moves outside its cage it just bolts into one of its retreats. I used to have the top covered off, but it got way to humid in the cage, and it made the cool end way to hot. Instead of stressing it out trying to make it "tame" (which i dont want to do), i just would like to make it "comfortable" with having a human around. Any ideas, or should i just put it in its own little room, and try to limit the amount of time spent near him?
I also gave him a bath yesterday to help him shed (i think he may of had a retained shed before, if thats possible???), and it was the first time i could actually hold him without any hissing/biting, and he didnt tense up at all. Is this helpfull in helping him get used to me?

Thanks for any and all help,

Kyle

V.hb
05-03-03, 09:47 AM
Kyle, Its pretty normal for them to do that. For savs, its like a 50/50 split. Some do, some dont. Give him time.

With time he will adjust to your presence.

bathing is a good way to interact. and yes, there is a possibility of bad sheds. They usually cause toes to fall off, etc.

Steeve B
05-04-03, 05:14 PM
I agree with V.hb giving him a bath every week is a good way to interact and get him comfy with you, give him time.
Rgds