PDA

View Full Version : Hemianthus callitrichoides

Youkai
06-13-02, 11:29 PM
I snagged one of these plants, and can find very, VERY little information about it. I have the feeling it might be similar to Lilaeopsis brasiliensis in terms of planting and lighting, but I'm not 100% sure. There isn't very comprehensive info on Tropica's site (the plant is from them) and I can only find info on some of this plant's cousins elsewhere. Any help or pointers appreciated.

Shane Tesser
06-15-02, 01:45 AM
Good morning, its, 3:30, just got in from work, and im wired, but heres what i know. Tropica is famous for developing hybrid plants like mad. Looks like you probably have on the their newest. Here is what i know of the genis. It is a variation of some of the plants made famous by the genius Takashi Amano in his "Nature Aquarium World" books. If you have never seen them, they are a definate must, pricey but youll never see aquarium like that anywhere else. There are two similar species, commonly known as either pearl grass or pearl weed. These are very demanding plants, good sunlight is a must, as well as fertilizers. Amano uses substrate heaters in his tanks, and i know these plants are common in his work, but im not suggesting you go and buy one. I have kept both pearl grass and pearl weed in the past, and have always found them to become stringy when they start to grow high. I found them to be a good middle foreground plant (if there is such a thing) prune like mad, you can replant the pieces you have cut, this also promotes the mother plant to become bushier. Make sure you dont plant the cuts too close to the mother plant, you dont want too much competition. For more info, try the web just using the genius name, or the common names, i would follow water types etc for these. Good luck. If you still cant find anything, ask the guys at either age of aquariums, or fish geeks, sorry jeff didnt mean to give plugs, lol. s.t.

Shane Tesser
06-15-02, 01:47 AM
Hey, seems we are a small group on this page, forgot to ask you in my reply to send pictures, "Show us you Tanks!!!" Fish etc, thanks,s.t.

Youkai
06-15-02, 07:15 AM
For the info. That makes all the info I've found come together nicely. The plant is faster growing then I thought. I've held it to tiny piece of lava rock and it's just covering the thing, and spreading. And I've had it all of one week!

I'me going to play with my camera either today, but more likely tomorrow. (I'm running on 3 hours sleep here...I'm going to be a bit tired after work..lol)

Any tips on taking pictures through the glass? I've got a tripod and everything, I'm just concerned about getting nice clear pictures.

Shane Tesser
06-15-02, 09:49 AM
NO! lol, i have no idea how to take pic's of an aquarium good. Actually im goofing, i know how.......it just never works for me. Jeff is a master, he's just got the talent. The easy way (if you can call it that) is to shoot the tank at an angle, this bounces the flash away from you. Other than that, i know the pro's use special lights to over come the lighting in the tank. I kinda have been experimenting with this, with a bunch of 500watters from Canadian Tire but so far.....nothing, good luck, and if you figure it out, please let me know. s.t.

Youkai
06-15-02, 05:12 PM
I'll let you know how it goes. I was planning on making the rooms dark, and then using just the lighting on the tanks as a light source, so I don't have to worry about the flash.

Good thing this is a good camera, or I've no clue how I'd get a picture of the pygmy cories. :)