PDA

View Full Version : food sources for african species

V.hb
04-30-03, 12:55 PM
Hey... Just posting to sort of "compare" notes.

What all does everyone feed their savannahs and black/white throats?

with my adults, i feed rodents, mealworms (in larger quantities) Just wondering what else is readily available and just as benificial.

on the side, i feed eggs (rarely) ground turkey, smelts (frozen full fish) sometimes chicken/turkey pieces (all lean)

what does everyone else feed?

norman
04-30-03, 01:08 PM
Are kingworms ok? (not as a staple but a variety treat)

V.hb
04-30-03, 02:06 PM
kingworms, you mean superworms? Thats what I use.. I find them incredibly easy to gutload.

markb
04-30-03, 02:22 PM
You can also feed them European brown garden snails (Helix aspersa), which I do on a weekly basis - and they love them; in Africa they eat the Giant African snail, Achatina fulica - both high in calcium. Also roadkill reptiles, and even offer green bananas to your V. exanthematicus and strawberries to your albigularis as supplements.

good luck,
markb

norman
04-30-03, 06:34 PM
yeah..i dunno...here they are called kingworms for some reason...but i think they are the same thing.
Where can you get the snails?
Thanks
Pete

Dom
04-30-03, 10:20 PM
a main staple diet on rodentia .. then anything else from roaches to chunk of beef to fish to chicken to hard boiled oeggs or even some of my other animals unfertile eggs..

There my garbeage cans .. all 7 off them! lol

V.hb
05-01-03, 10:23 AM
Ok, so we've got the diet down. next is how often?

I usually do every third day for any large rodent, in between il throw them the others (insects, turkey, fish)

Sometimes rotate the rodents, and give them something else.
everyone else?