PDA

View Full Version : Hot Permits

Mustangrde1
04-27-03, 08:52 AM
I was wondering what everyones opinion is of Requiring people that wish to own or posses Venomous Reptiles to have a permit is.

1 should they have to put in time with a experianced keeper first.
2 should the state inspect the cage and or room
3 Should they show proof of hours and time spent with the reptile they wish to own.

What are your opinions on this subject,

Gregg M
04-27-03, 10:00 AM
I agree with all three listed above....... Hots are no joke and nothing to take lightly....... They should only be kept by the most experianced keepers........ I had to aquire permits for my animals...... I wanted them but I wanted to do everything right....... I took my time and did not rush into it........

ETET
04-27-03, 02:55 PM
Agree with all the above requirements, also:

4. they should have the antivenom/ know a reliable source or antivenom bank of the species they keep;

5. they should have enough health insurance and liability insurance;
and someone will add more....

ETET

Mustangrde1
04-30-03, 06:01 AM
Antivenom if i remember correctly you need to have a special license for .maybe Ray could fill us in on that if he would.

Now for Insurance , great idea, but how would you explain to the insurance man how the bite happened. Maybe just say {you were walking through the park and this king cobra just suddenly jumped out and bit you} lol. Sorry had to say it

BWSmith
04-30-03, 06:44 AM
I must disagree with liability insurance. The reason for this is that it is a monopoly. There is only one insurance company that will provide coverage. GA requires a half million dollar liability insurance policy to have exotic hots. That runs about $8,000 a year!

Matt
04-30-03, 06:53 AM
Antivenom if i remember correctly you need to have a special license for

you need an IND # (investigational drug liscence number) to obtain any antiserum, simply because antivenin is not FDA approved.

Mustangrde1
04-30-03, 08:42 AM
Thanks Matt, my brain isnt working to well today just had to put our 16 year old female wolf hybrid down last night , She was a retired state trooper and one of the best animals ever, and i just am not thinking to clear today.

ETET
04-30-03, 05:53 PM
BW that,s a lot for liability insurance! But for health insurance, I have to pay quite a bit.

ETET

BWSmith
04-30-03, 07:55 PM
My health insurance carrier never asked ;)

Vanan
04-30-03, 08:40 PM
All suggestions sound good but I don't get how you're supposed to get a permit by showing prove of time you've spent with a snake they wish to own. Unless you have a very understanding seller who'd let you work with stuff before purchasing, I don't see how that's gonna work. Sorry I don't mean to sound like I'm disagreeing, I'm just a lil blurry there. :)

BWSmith
04-30-03, 09:12 PM
you have to "clock" hours with a lisenced keeper and have them sign off on you.

Vanan
05-01-03, 03:07 PM
Gotcha. That's what I though, just kinda got mixed up in words.

Mustangrde1
05-01-03, 04:40 PM
Vanan, I cant speak for all states but here is the link to Florida's wildlife permit section.

http://floridaconservation.org/permits/

This is the main permit page so you can see all the special permits needed. Hope this helps.

Vanan
05-01-03, 05:40 PM
Cool. Thanks Mustangrdel! I think every state and province should follow FL's idea and not just outright ban stuff. Thanks for the link again!

cobraman
05-04-03, 03:03 PM
I would get a good stern laughing at if I were to try to get any insurance! Mat is correct, I had to get a BB-IND license to stock the EXOTIC antivenoms I stock, but if you wanted to stock the 2 antivenons made by Wyeth (crotalidea polyvalant, and micrurus monovalant) you simply need a script from any doctor. I don't see the point, because almost all the hospital (in Florida, anyway) stock plenty of this antivenin, but NOT exotic antivenoms. Just my $.02
Blessings
Ray Hunter