PDA

View Full Version : substrate

pookye
04-26-03, 09:37 PM
Hi, i would like to know which substrate I can put in the vivarium of my savannah monitor. Some people said cypress mulch, sand, aspen bedding, paper, shaving wood, but it’s very controversial. I would like to have the good susbrate for this desertic lizard but not too expensive. Thanks!

V.hb
04-26-03, 09:50 PM
mix either cypress with black earth, or vermiculite with black earth.
or if you live in a clean area, just dig up some dirt. keep in mind, in the wild these monitors dig down too escape heat, and abosorb humidity.

tabastifur
04-27-03, 08:31 AM
I started mine out on paper towel. Once he was old enough I put about 6 inches of potting soil stuff, and 6 inches of King Childrens Play Sand on top to finish off the desert look. Substrate cost me $50 total. I have been told that injesting certain types of play sand is okay. I don't trust it however and still ALWAYS feed outside the enclosure.

V.hb
04-27-03, 12:32 PM
I find sand too dusty, and it doesnt hold burrows at all.

Bad part with sand is that they not only ingest it by eating it, but they inhale a hell of a lot of it when kicking it around. Overall i think its unhealthy, and in my experience i also found it harvests alot of bacteria.

jpaulson
04-27-03, 02:11 PM
You can buy "forest bedding" at your local pet store, but that can be quite expensive. Your best bet is to go to a Home Depot, or some other do-it-yourself supply yard and buy cypress mulch. You can buy these big, 50lb bags relatively cheap. Make sure to treat it for mites before you use it. That will probably be your best bet. I have used this, and I have used potting soil as well. I did not care for the soil too much, as it was hard to clean, and made a mess when he would turn over his water bowl. Also, keep in mind where you are feeding him. If you are feeding in the same cage, then using sand or aspen shavings is not recommended, as it can be easily ingested.

pookye
04-27-03, 08:04 PM
Thanks for all your answer, i'm interested bycypress mulch but i don't find it on my city. for the moment my little monitor will stay on his aspen bedding. about aspen bedding, do you know people who use it, 2-3 person said than they use aspen for is savannah?

Linds
04-27-03, 08:39 PM
My only monitor experience is through work, as I do not have any at home. However, I hang around here long enough to pick up a few of the essentials ;) As I understand it, dirt is your best choice for msot monitor species, savs included. Here's two peices I found on it, hopefully someone more experienced will chime in here :)

http://www.varanus.net/faq/housing.htm#3.7

Originally posted by Dom

Substrate.. Mulch or wood will be a slow deat h to your monitor s and sand will be an even quicker death.. DIRT .. all I can say is DIRT ... nothing beets that .. there not desertic aniamls.. research the erea they live in .. it can tell u lots about its husbandry..

V.hb
04-28-03, 12:07 PM
Mulch will not kill your monitor, if you keep it moistened enough its fine. on top of the fact that irresponsible feeding kills your monitor, not mulch.

there are next to 0 cases of impaction by mulch as long as the monitor has adequate water available. Iam guessing you mean by consumption. Whenever my smaller monitors dig through the mulch they pick out mealworms etc, and spit the mulch out.
Sand is a different story, its not very good at all but it certainly wont kill them, just give them shed problems and a higher chance of impaction (this is still rare..)

As i said above, if you cannot get out-door dirt get yourself vermiculite mixed with black earth, or use cypress mulch.

Btw, if you meant cedar mulch, pine.. etc then yes that will kill a monitor slowly. but cypress is non toxic.

edited:
forgot the aspen issue, from my exp aspen isnt bad, however its very dry and becomes moldy quickly. Id stick too black earth mixed with vermiculite. I cannot get much cypress here either, so thats the mix i use when iam not using outside dirt.

V.hb
04-28-03, 12:43 PM
Vic, ive used peat, and i cant stand it!!!! it may not be bad if you threw a little bit in with the mixtures, but on its own its incredibly dusty.
drys out very very fast.