PDA

View Full Version : Essential hot room items...

Jeremy
04-24-03, 07:48 AM
First, one definately needs an assortment of hooks handy at all times. Heres a little rack I have drilled into my wall. Works great but isnt anywhere near big enough to hold all of my hooks. especaily the python hook!!!!
http://www.ssnakess.com/photopost/data/500/756hooks.jpg

Also, here a simple first aid kit I have put together with all of the basics for short term survival incase of a bite. The benadryl and more importantly, the epipen can save my life incase of an allergic reaction and I feel one should always have these 2 products avaible when dealing with venomous reptiles. The preasure bandages are also vital for survival when dealing with extreamly neurotoxic snakes, such as cobras and mambas. Wrap those babies around the bitten limb and they can buy you up to 5 hours before the venom takes effect (provided there are no necrotic effects associated with the bite. Putting a preasure bandage on for viper and pitviper bites can make the bite much worse for the venom will be isolated to a certin area and wont be allowed to spread and thin out. However, when dealling with freaky elapids like Naja kaouthia who can cause both severe local and symptomatic effects, it is advised to use this method for the neuros in the venom will kill ya a hell of alot guicker then the hemos).

BTW, there is also a swayer venom ectraction kit in there but weather or not it would have any effects on an envenomation are still subject to much debate. It wa given to me so I figured it mine as well go in there too.
http://www.ssnakess.com/photopost/data/500/756kit.jpg

Also, just for the heck of it, heres some old pics of the girl I would probally need to worry about haveiung thes products avaible for. This little sub adult kaouthia is really a site to behold and becomes increaseingly dangerous each and everytime she feeds. Shes gottenso damn aggresive that she will fly out of her cage, jaws snapping, tryiong to nap anything that moves!!! Its kinda cute, yet scarry at the same time. Kinda remind me of myself at dinner time:-)
http://www.ssnakess.com/photopost/data/500/756mvc022s-med.jpg
http://www.ssnakess.com/photopost/data/500/756mvc021s-med.jpg

Welp, enjoy and Ill try an get some updated pics of the critters this weekend.

All the best,
Jeremy

BWSmith
04-24-03, 07:51 AM
Very nice Jeremy. I would also add that it is good to have hooks at different places around the room so that you are always in reach of one. Had a couple elapids steal hooks before ;)

Matt
04-24-03, 07:57 AM
very good, looks like your well prepared....good luck with your little kaouthia :)

Feed'em All
04-24-03, 08:54 AM
Lovely snake!!!! how big is she?
Martin

BWSmith
04-24-03, 01:33 PM
AHHHH, the Midwest Ultralight Hook, one of the best pieces of equipment I ever bought.

Hamster of Borg
04-24-03, 01:45 PM
Looks good. I also added a printed out booklet on bite treatment protocols listed by species - so it can go with me to the hospital. I even added little flashcards with species names on them so I could quickly slip it into the front of the booklet in case I can't explain what happened for whatever reason. My booklet also includes all contact numbers in there, including poison control, antivenin banks, several hospitals in the area, zoos - anything that may be a source of either advice or antivenin. Just to make sure I have all those numbers centralized and the people at the hospital aren't fishing around for them.

Just having the proper procedure for treatment in both first aid and hospitalization could save a limb or your life - if you should lose consciousness and the parameds don't have any idea what to do, as I would pretty much guarantee would be the case for a cobra bite in the US. Its unfortunate, but many emergency services people don't even know how to treat properly for native species, muchless something as nasty as Naja.

Ham

BWSmith
04-24-03, 01:54 PM
I have the same setup Hamster, even down to the flash cards with every species I own. I added a Medical History and allergies as well. Along the lines of worst case scenerio, I recently installed a panic button at waist height (just in case I am crawling).

Hamster of Borg
04-24-03, 02:01 PM
Thanks, I'm gonna add a medical history to mine, would take a few minutes to type up. :)

What exactly does the panic button do? Makes me wonder if it wouldn't be worth it for people who keep large numbers of hots to get one of those old people alert pager things. You know the "I've fallen and can't get up" ones? I forget what the company is.

"I've been bitten by a cobra and can't get up."

Ham

Jeremy
04-25-03, 06:38 AM
Hey guys,
Brian, your absolutely right! Haveing hooiks handy in various places in the hot room is a very good idea. I also have a hook right at the door, incase I come in and theres a kaouthia or god forbid, a Tiiny crawling around:-) Also, I agree, that midwest light weight hook is really awesome! I have a very similar Furmont hook and combineing the two works awesome for the smaller arboreal vipers/pitvipers! In all honesty though, I would have to say that Midwest's light weight hook is better then the furmont! The main reason is the similar quality with the cheaper price tag(although I didnt pay for any of my furmont stuff and I have about 8 hooks from them!) but I also like the tappered off point of the hook. It really makes getting under the snakes easier and less stressfull to the animal.

Also as was mentioned, haveing bite protacalls is esential to getting proper medical care. I have 3 hanging right by the door as well. With my collection, 3 is about all I need. I have one sheet for kaouthia, 1 sheet for Agkistrodons and one for echis, just because its the closest av which MAY prove to work for Atheris squamigera envenomations. Unfortunately my other venomous sp do not have an exsisting av which covers their envenomations:-(

BTW, To Martin, she (kaouthia) is just over 3 foot and doing splended! Her body weight, feisty attitude and appetite all make her one healthy bounceing baby cobra! She was my first Naja and is easily in my top 3 favorite snakes in the collection. Only my Northern pine and huge female Coral Cobra top her!

Welp, thanks for the input!

Later,
J