PDA

View Full Version : Little two-way radios

danh
04-23-03, 04:22 PM
I went herping with a bunch of people over the weekend and a lot of them were using these little, handheld two-way radios. I'm not sure exactly what they are called. Does anybody know where to get one, or if different brands or makes will work together on the same frequency? Or even what I'm talking about? Maybe somebody who came on the spottie trip could clarify what I'm talking about?

reptilez
04-23-03, 04:24 PM
There motorola walkie talkies. Go to a radio shack or future shop kinda place. Im not sure on the price, i think there like 40 bucks for 2

alex_33
04-23-03, 04:27 PM
yeah the cheaper ones are aroudn 40 bucks, but your limited to only a few airways, i have to motorola ones that were 120, whihc gives a whole bunch of different channels for when im snowboarding i dont have to worry about the other channels being used

Beejay
04-23-03, 05:38 PM
Hello Dan, where have you been? HUGS!

The ones we have are nice...they're Motorola TalkAbout Two Way radios. They're good for what you're looking for. You should be able to get two for about a hundred bucks or less. I don't remember where these came from...Dale gave them to me.

Are you doing anything exciting this summer?

Love, Bj

Jeff Hathaway
04-23-03, 07:32 PM
Dan,

The gadgets in question are FRS (Family Radio Service) 2 way radios that have a max. range of about 3 km (if you're really lucky, and the planets are aligned just right). You can get them at Costco, RadioShack, Future Shop, or even Canadian Tire.

FRS frequencies are standard between different brands. They all work together.

The cheaper ones have only 14 channels. The more expensive ones have 38 squelch codes or subchannels for a total of 532 various combinations. However, what many people don't realize is that these subchannels are not completely separate. They only filter out noise from the other subchannels. For example, if you broadcast on Ch. 1 sub 05, anyone with any model tuned to Ch. 1 (sub 00 if they have the subchannels) within range will hear you. However, you will only hear messages on Ch. 1 sub 05. Buy the ones with the squelch codes if you're in a crowded area and worried about interference (I did) but don't buy them because you expect more privacy!

I had a pair of Cobras with a push button 'on switch'. I hated them, because they often got accidentally turned on, draining the battery. I now have another pair of Cobras with the rotating 'on/ volume' knob, and I much prefer it! Mine also came with rechargeable batteries and a charger, which has been handy.

Soon I will be getting one that is a combo GPS/FRS radio; can't wait to play with it!

Jeff Hathaway
Sciensational Sssnakes!!

shaggybill
04-23-03, 10:26 PM
Dude, go to Wal-Mart and get those cool little black one for 10 dollars. They only reach about 20 feet, but they are super cool looking.

danh
04-25-03, 02:19 PM
Thanks everybody for your help. I think I'll go for better quality and larger range than super cool looking though, dude.

Combination FRS/GPS hmmm, I might just look into that. Are you ordering those off the net, Jeff?

Hey BJ, I was looking for you at the last show (I basically just looked at the top of people's heads to see who had unique hair colours and then looked to see if they were you.) Couldn't find you but I did see a baby (approx. six-months old) with a mohawk!!!! I though of you, maybe you could consider one for Henry? See you at Pelee again, hopefully?

dan

Tim and Julie B
04-25-03, 11:51 PM
Tim and I got some with some friends last year,from Staples! They are pretty cool. We got them when we went herping last year.

Beejay
04-26-03, 12:52 AM
Yeah Dan, I went incognito and late. I dyed my hair a funny brown colour that looks pretty natural...

No more pink, green, orange, red and blue or purple...

I brought all three kids to the show briefly, then hung out for about two hours. Why? I dunno, I never buy anything. I was disappointed that I couldn't find you though!

I'll be at Pelee this year for sure. Not sure how I'm getting there yet but I'll take a bus with Robyn if I have to! Poor Robyn :(

When it comes to doing chores I'm gonna pick you for a partner again...it was really fun how you helped me get up close and personal with big, hairy spiders in the forest.... :o

haha

Take care Dan.

Miss ya! Bj xox