PDA

View Full Version : Duckweed....

marisa
04-22-03, 04:02 PM
Those little floaters (tiny green circles with one tiny root below the water) are called Duckweed right? Well anyways....

I noticed when I put plants in my new little ten gallon (thanks for the plant help shane and coor!) that some little duckweed sto-aways had come home with them. Last week I had exactly four little ones floating. Today I have double that. Maybe even triple. Not a lot, I know....but obivoulsy they are growing.

Do aquarium hobbyist consider them a pest? How many can I safely let grow before they take too much light away from the bottom plants? I like them and want to keep a small group growing.

Thanks for the help as always.

Marisa

corr
04-22-03, 05:36 PM
I think having a few is a good thing... it helps difuse the light so it's not so concentrated in one spot. They're easy to scoop out so they shouldn't get out of hand.

Your welcome for the help! That's what's great about communities like this, trading knowledge! :)

Youkai
04-22-03, 10:19 PM
I personally love duckweed. I have to admit I don't know the various species of it that well. There is one kind with bigger leaves and a tint of red/burgundy to it that grows more slowly and is easier to keep under control. I like to use that one when I can, but I don't see any disadvantages to any kind of duckweed.

Like Corr said it's good to diffuse light. It also encourages shy fish to come out more often. If the fish are omnivorous/herbivorous they'll enjoy it as a snack.

marisa
04-22-03, 10:30 PM
Cool. thanks guys! I like the way it looks, even though my view is from below. I think it makes things look all the more natural. I am planning on keeping it scooped back and let it cover about 1/4 of the tank maybe.

Thank you!

Marisa

Jeff_Favelle
04-22-03, 10:34 PM
Its definitely a weed. Lemna minor. We sell it at work. It'll quickly cover the surface if theirs the right nutrients in the water.

Fish LOVE to eat it.

Shane Tesser
04-23-03, 11:42 AM
I use it..although lately ive turned to riccia instead as i just like the looks more...but at one time i was removing about a one litre ice cream container a week and giving it to my local pet store for the goldfish as a snack....Goldfish love this stuff...most other species wont touch it. I use it to regulate light, i use the filters flow to push it to one side of the tank where i float it for the shade or low light loving plants..and it really does work well...but yes...most ppl that keep planted tanks think of it as a pest as they feel it robs other slow growing plants of valuable nutrients...i disagree with that and think its probably more useful as a valuable remover of waste and a natural filter :D

Lizzy
04-23-03, 01:00 PM
You were supposed to be giving it to me Shane! :) Oh well, I got some with the plants you gave me and I'm sure it will love the tank I have for it! Thanks again for the plants!

Lizzy

17730turtlegirl
04-28-03, 03:00 PM
depending on the type of fish u have in your tank i would just leave it be but u should email me with what kind of fish u have if u dont have any i would let it cover about half of the top of the tank and throw the rest of it in your pond or a near by stream or lake:grab:

Youkai
04-28-03, 09:39 PM
You should never, <i>ever</i> release non-native species of plant into an ecosystem! Especially something as prolific as duckweed.