PDA

View Full Version : Mamba venom turning bodies into rotten meat???

Feed'em All
04-20-03, 11:15 AM
OK, this is a real police case that happened in Argentina.
Neighbors called the policed because they cant stand the smell of rotten meat from the house next door, when police break into the house, found in the bath tub two corpses they said were two month dead.
But neighbors said they had seen the two girls two days earlier, so police investigate and they found that the older girl boyfriend worked in a serpentarium with 3 d.polylepsis.
I even read that some killers worldwide used polys venom for the same purpose.
My main doubt is, is mamba venom hemotoxic? I was completely sure that more than anything was neuro...
Anyway, I thought it was a hell of a case and wanted to share it...
MARTIN.

Nightflight99
04-20-03, 06:19 PM
http://www.venomousreptiles.org/libraries/download/1833/Dscn1363a.jpg

The venom of Dendroaspis polylepis contains mostly highly potent neurotoxins, including dendrotoxins and fasciculins. Dendrotoxins are homologous polypeptides, which facilitate the release of acetylcholine at the neuromuscular junction and selectively block some voltage-dependent K+ channels (transmembrane channels essential for neuroanal transmission) in nerve endings. They are furthermore known to be potent inducers of epilepsy and convulsions in the central nervous system. Dendrotoxins are presynaptic in action, causing an initial stimulation, then blockade, and finally flaccid paralysis.

Fasciculins are also presynaptic neurotoxins, and are potent inhibitors of cholinesterases. They are synergistic with the dendrotoxins in a highly effective and rather fascinating manner. The fasciculins increase the release of acetylcholine, while the dendrotoxins prevent its metabolism, together greatly increasing the quantity of acetylcholine swamping the acetylcholine receptors on the muscle end plate.

Regarding the cardiotoxins (there are no reports of hemotoxic activity in mamba venom), van Aswegen et al (1996) did a study investigating the putative cardiotoxicity of the venoms of D.angusticeps, D.jamesoni, and D.polylepis, with the conclusion that while there is evidence that mamba venoms have a specific effect on isolated myocytes (of guinea pig), it is doubtful that it will have a profound influence on a human heart in case of envenomation.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

---Nightflight99

Feed'em All
04-20-03, 11:13 PM
Wow, sure it helps, but is kinda rare that police investators haven't donde this research right?
The case I mention has never been solved, by the way.
Martin.

Tim and Julie B
04-20-03, 11:23 PM
That's like right out of C.S.I. man! Thanks for sharing that is very interesting!

Feed'em All
04-21-03, 07:35 AM
Now that I think about it yeah it looked like a C.S.I episode...
But still don't get it, mamba venom isn't supposed to destroy tissue!!!
Anyway, at this point I'm almost sure police didn't investigate well enough.
Martin.