PDA

View Full Version : filter output question

marisa
04-16-03, 11:39 PM
We have some fancy guppies with long long fins and they seem to get disturbed and sometimes worn out by the fairly strong current the filter makes...teh filter is not too large for the tank but the current is still a bit stronger then it should be i think....anyways....someone told us we can shove a piece of sponge in the filter UPtake to slow it down. I did not think this was a good idea...but can someone here tell me?

Or tell me what can be done to lessen the current created by a filter in a small tank?

Marisa

Piers
04-17-03, 12:58 AM
what kind of filter?some like the over the side filters are ajustable, others like undergraval or corner filters you can slow the air speed with a bleeder valve.
Piers

Shane Tesser
04-17-03, 03:54 AM
ill take a guess that anything that you stuff with floss in the pick up tube will soon be restricted when items get stuck in it itself and eventually lead to the motor being burned out...hopefully you have a set up like Piers mentioned..where you can control the speed...ie aqua clears.

marisa
04-17-03, 08:16 AM
My filter hangs on the side....I fooled around with it a little bit last night and turned it down.

Thanks again folks!!! This tank stuff is so much more confusing than reptiles! LOL

Marisa

Lizzy
04-19-03, 02:19 AM
Perhaps thinnk about putting 2 smaller,less powerful filters on the tank. 2 filters could equal the filtratiion cpacity of one, but have half the current. Just an idea. I don'tl ike plugging the intake if filters.
Lizzy