PDA

View Full Version : Graduation From The Steve Erwin School Of Handling

cobraman
04-11-03, 10:39 PM
***DISCLAIMER*** unless you have graduated from the STEVE ERWIN SCHOOL OF SNAKE HANDLING, please dont pick one of these up (even if You, like the dummy pictured below, self immunize).

OK, Brian, Go for it>(

p.s. Happy Scott???

cobraman
04-11-03, 10:44 PM
Ok, now tis is a little better

kovu
04-11-03, 11:42 PM
dude your crazzzzzzy
:eek:

Gregg M
04-12-03, 05:58 AM
Hey Cobraman, you self immunize???? What does that do to your kidneys???? Do you think there are any long term side effects to this practice........ I think what you do is good and may come in handy in the medical world some day........ You may also save a life other than your own.......

cobraman
04-12-03, 09:15 AM
It is VERY rough on the kidneys, In fact Mr. Haast has had problems with this. I do a LFP test every 3 months, and so far my enzymes are within normal limits. Also I don'y use as many venoms as Bill uses. He uses 32 venoms, I only use 9. I am sur that this has saved my life more than ## times, and the good Lord watches over fools like me.
Be Blessed
Ray

boa
04-12-03, 09:30 AM
it is nice to see someone out there play's with those kind of snakes congrats very nice to see that.

BWSmith
04-12-03, 03:52 PM
*bangs head repeatedly on desk*

nicola_boulton
04-12-03, 03:58 PM
wow u r crazy!!!

Mustangrde1
04-12-03, 04:12 PM
Now Now Now I wont truly be happy till i see you preform CPR on a frozen Cobra for four hours to revive it, And you forgot to wear Brown shorts for that picture. I told you Brown , but atleast you got the no hook thing correct, is it a Danger danger danger to not use a hook, Oh and by the way who is volunteering for Conda cage clean up hmmmm.

ballpython5000
04-12-03, 04:32 PM
u must have been dropped on ur head huh?

alex_33
04-12-03, 04:35 PM
lol, this may seem kinda dumb but im relatively new to the herp world, so what kind of snake is that

cobraman
04-12-03, 04:44 PM
It's a African Black RACER :)

cobraman
04-12-03, 04:46 PM
Hah! Fooled ya'll (all except Bian. I knew I would not be able to fool him. He can spot a frozen snake a mile away)
Ray

Mustangrde1
04-12-03, 06:02 PM
Alex all fun and games aside its a Black Mamba.

cobraman
04-12-03, 06:46 PM
And if you believe that..................................

Feed'em All
04-12-03, 07:36 PM
NUTS!!!!!
NUTS!!!!!
NUTS!!!!!
A black mamba? what's next???

Congrats dude, Martin.

cobraman
04-12-03, 08:51 PM
Would it be nuts if the snake was a dead and frozen snake??? HMMM, Judge not, lest ye be.......

alex_33
04-12-03, 08:51 PM
oh okay thanks, black mamba eh, i read some where that 2 drops of its venom can kill a person? is that true? if so your crazy snakeman

cobraman
04-12-03, 08:55 PM
That may be the case IF I were not self Immunizing and VERY resistant to their venom. I doubt a near frozen, dead snake could deliver a fatal bite anyway. Come on, guys, READ before posting your judgements.
Ray

Andy_G
04-12-03, 09:07 PM
Cool. Interesting to see people handle them freely like that. Sounds like you are playing it safe, but your'e still crazy hehe, well, only in part of a sense of the word lol.

JD@reptiles
04-12-03, 09:22 PM
man you are one crazy mofo. i wouldent evan handle my vine snake LOL...

stormyva
04-12-03, 09:32 PM
WHY? WHY? WHY?

Vanan
04-12-03, 09:40 PM
I think people still didn't get your point about it being frozen Ray. :) But if you were pulling our legs about it being frozen, I agree with everyone else. You're NUTS! LOL! Peace!

cobraman
04-12-03, 10:31 PM
Come on, y'all. I guess I got to spell it out for some of you who must not be reading the posts: ATTENTION EVERYONE, THE SNAKE YOU SEE IN MY HANDS COULD NOT HURT EVEN YOU!!! IT IS DEAD< DEMISED< EXPIRED< PASSED ON< TERMINATED< SIGNAL-7< PUSHING UP FLOWERS< MAGGOT FOOD< DEAD & FROZEN!!! Got It Yet????? The reference to Steve Erwin should have given it away.

Let's read the posts, instead of just looking at the pictures.
Hey, there may be an interesting study in this.
Blessings all
Ray Hunter

Vanan
04-12-03, 10:44 PM
LOL Ray!

kovu
04-12-03, 10:45 PM
LOL your the man cobraman!

Ya, so you fooled me :p good one!

Take care.

Andy_G
04-12-03, 11:01 PM
Very nice glossy look to it lol. Still crazy even though frozen, but in a good way. :)

Ace
04-12-03, 11:10 PM
ATTENTION EVERYONE, THE SNAKE YOU SEE IN MY HANDS COULD NOT HURT EVEN YOU!!! IT IS DEAD< DEMISED< EXPIRED< PASSED ON< TERMINATED< SIGNAL-7< PUSHING UP FLOWERS< MAGGOT FOOD< DEAD & FROZEN!!!

So your saying this snake isn't living anymore? :D

Feed'em All
04-12-03, 11:19 PM
It looked alive...
Martin.
pd:cobraman, I said NUTS in a "crazy buddy" way, not in a "oh! an inmoral way of handle" way....if u know what I mean....dude, if you played unsafe with those you'd be dead long time ago.
Take care!

Matt
04-13-03, 09:16 AM
wow, that point took a while to beat into some heads :)

BWSmith
04-13-03, 10:13 AM
Hah! Fooled ya'll (all except Bian. I knew I would not be able to fool him. He can spot a frozen snake a mile away)
So what are you saying? You saying that I have too many snakes in the freezer? HUH!?!?! just kidding.

BTW, that poly that you sold to a buddy in Columbia last year is doing great. He said it is over 4 feet now.

cobraman
04-13-03, 11:17 AM
That was a bad decision on my part to even post it to begin with, but I was hoping to use the post to poke at my friend Steve Erwin and his tricks to his trade. From now on, just normal pics (shut up Scott!) :)
Blessings
Ray

BWSmith
04-13-03, 12:44 PM
I got a few pics too that i decided would not be a good idea to post ;) I think about every hot keeper does.

BoidKeeper
04-13-03, 01:52 PM
Cobraman, normal pics are too boaring. Besides I had too much fun reading reply after reply about it being frozen and people still calling you nutts. Proves my point that most people only read the first post and then reply. Or like you said just look at the pic.
Great shot.
Trevor

kovu
04-13-03, 06:31 PM
Cobraman, BWSmith, POST EM !!!!!!!

:w

BWSmith
04-14-03, 07:58 AM
no.

There are always exceptions to the "rules" of hot keeping. And as this thread illustrated, people often look at the pic and dont read the rest. I will not post, for example, a pick of pinning a venomous snake except under very specific circumstances. The reason is, I don't condone this practice. it is probably the most dangerous interaction with a venomous snake during husbandry and is often unnecisary. I will not go for the Steve Irwin approach of "look how brave and fearless he is" and post pictures of reckless and dangerous handling practices. There are already too many people that try to "showboat" hot handling in private, by taking stupid risks. I try to only show the "right" way of doing things. I never want to hear that I did something so it is OK. Even small things like a camera angle can horribly distort a pic and skew distances to make it look unsafe.

There is no doubt that Ray and I differ on what proper handling techniques are. There are pictures that i would prefer he not post. But oh well. He is a very experienced handler and after a few nice discussions with him, we are at a good spot.

I do think that Ray and I can probably agree that either school of thought on handling techniques should not be practiced by the average herper.

There are enough people out there like Steve Irwin showboating and making it look easy and safe to work with hots. I will not post any pics of the higher risk aspects of hot keeping except under very specific circumstances when the action in 100% justified and neccissary.

normal pics are too boaring
I won't even address this, as it will send me off on another rant and i have to get some work done today;)

Matt
04-14-03, 08:03 AM
well said
i was about to jump in and ask for these kinds of pics not to be posted...alot of the time, it will give the wrong impression, and this is the last forum we want to do that in

Gregg M
04-14-03, 08:17 AM
I must agree with Brian........ Although at some piont you may need to pin or tail a venomous snake,( I have only had to pin a handfull of hots in the entire time keeping hots) people can not see what was done before the snake is actually in the keepers hands....... I dont think photos can show how concentrated you have to be, and photos will not pick up the proper technique and will distort distance and angels like brian said......

cobraman
04-14-03, 09:26 AM
Very well said, Brian. The only thing I will add to that is that you and I actually DO agree on the proper handling techniques, only I myself don't always practice what we both preach :). Right or wrong, I do what I do, but would not be at all impressed to see someone else do some of those things (even if they too were self immunizing), nor do I let Scott take the pics he does as a means to impress others. Brian, your pics and info are very educational, and i vciew mine as educationa in terms of what NOT to do. It's not Iraq war pics, but it is entertainment of a sort (call it amusing, at best), and is NEVER meant to be instructional for anyone in or getting into keeping hots. The mamba in hand pic was totaly meant to be a Erwin joke, who would have know that very few would read and get it. My bad, won't do that again (Matt). Some of my pics are no doubt different, but who wants the same ol same ol all the time? I do realize in advance that some of them raise Brian's blood pressure a bit, but I got nothing but love and respect for you, Brian. It has sort of become a shop joke here with Scott and myself. I feel my soap box giving way, so I'll close with a quote from my website: "One out of every 100 people I hear from express their concern that the above type photos could inspire others to copy me. So if you are one of those people that is inspired to copy every dangerous thing you see on tv or the internet, my advise to you is A) DON'T!!!, and B) stay off the internet and don't watch tv !"

Be Blessed Y'all
Ray Hunter

cobraman
04-14-03, 11:29 AM
this is NOT from the Steve Erwin school of handling

BWSmith
04-14-03, 11:56 AM
I think we need a second person there ;)

cobraman
04-14-03, 12:05 PM
Normally I have 13 more all heavilly armed with snake hooks, but they are all in the hospital from a red ratsnake bite :)

BWSmith
04-14-03, 12:17 PM
LMAO!!!! There have actually been a couple that i put my snake boots on for before working with them. I always have at least one person at least int he house in case of an emergency. Thenk god i have had to use the Panic Button yet!

Mustangrde1
04-14-03, 04:05 PM
Well, I suppose I need to chime in. Ray handles and deals with snakes in a matter that is comfortable and safe for him and those around. What is comfortable for one person is not always for another! Hooks and tongs and tubes are for more practical and safe for me. Nor would Ray ever allow me too do anything he felt or I felt was unsafe or beyond my skill or comfort level. As for a Teacher he is and will always be the one I look to for advice and help.{ In the proper way of handling}.We do have a lot of fun working with the numerous animal venomous and nonvenomous that is after all what gets you in to this hobby. But SAFETY is always first thing on both our minds, and that goes as well for the animals and there SAFETY, Which should always be paramont.and yes Ray does use the proper tools you might not always see them in the picture but I can promise you there is at least 1 hook and 1 tong well within reach if not more.
Brian many of your articles have helped me as well and I would love to see you post many more.
It is through the sharing of knowledge of experienced keepers that will aid and help the less experienced and maybe prevent needless death to the animals. Also it can help in the keepers health and well being as well.

Thank you to both Ray and Brian for your years of experience and dedication and the willingness to share your experience and knowledge.

Scott Bice

PS Um Ray when did you Hire Tim Taylor the only thing that picture was missing was a screw gun for building hot boxes LOL.

Lasher
04-19-03, 11:55 PM
ROTFLMAO @ BW Smith

cobraman
04-20-03, 11:35 AM
Yeah, I guess, Whatever that means.

reptilesalonica
04-20-03, 12:03 PM
WOW! :eek: That...frozen black mamba did bite you at last?...... Good job Ray :thumbsup: lol... Btw, you didn't had a tongue on the previous photo with the glasses. Don't put your self in risks lol
cheers ~Greg~

cobraman
04-20-03, 12:48 PM
Would not dream of it! Be Blessed
Ray

reptilesalonica
04-20-03, 12:56 PM
Well, i believe am (seriously). I feel many times in my life that there's a good energy besides me. Whatever i want in my life, its finaly happening. I praise God with my own ways and i feel him besides me. Btw how many of you are religious?
~Greg~

cobraman
04-20-03, 07:35 PM
I would not say I am "religious", as I hate religions (man made societies for man), but I TRY to live like a Christian. Christian means Christ like, and I am far from that, but God is perfecting His saints. I hope that God is inside you not just beside you. If you are a believer, Christ (God) is inside you, and I try daily to see nothing in others except Christ.

Ok, Ok, you guys, I'll get off my soap box :)
Be blessed
Ray

Steeve B
04-20-03, 07:55 PM
Ha-ha man I tot you where a crazy MTF obviously aim wrong you so happen to be the goofiest sun of a gun in this hobby, I who’d be you best buddy on any field trip, just don’t expect me to carry your paralysed body, my kidneys are damaged from alcohol treatments. Speaking of witch, just how many of these treatments do I need to think god is beside me. Cheers
Ps. Love the photos

cobraman
04-20-03, 08:03 PM
Depends on who your "god" is. My God watches over fools like me. It looks like alcohol is more damaging than snake venom :) Good thing I don't mix the two (in fact I don't drink). I have always smiled when friends of mine told me how "crazy" I am, then drove off in a car drunk off their @#*. :) I think statistics will prove that drinking and driving is far more deadly than venomous snakes (not that you would ever do that, but most of my critics do).
Be blessed
Ray

Steeve B
04-21-03, 05:56 AM
I met bill when I was working on a gator farm in west palm, I really like him and you remind me of him somewhat, both of you guys obviously have the same sickness.
I consider my self one of the lucky guys to be fortunate enough to know such true lovers of animals as him and Auffenberg, Froehlich and hoe ells in Florida St-Pierre and now you via internet, aim very far from a critic, actually I enjoy your posts, and I who dent mind having you as my neighbour, just as long as you who’ dent call me to put back your king back in its cage after he bit you, or you who dent show my doter how to hook vipers. Also I don’t drink but I knew you’d take the opportunity to show it’s not safer and it kill a lot more peoples every year. Kind regards

Ps. About the beside me God thing! I was just teasing our Greek friend a little no offence. the way he word it was funny to me, aim french I do this all the time.

reptilesalonica
04-21-03, 06:56 AM
lol Steeve B, you mean the "good energy"?...lol yes, sometimes trying to find the correct word in a serious subject can lead to the opposite result :)