PDA

View Full Version : The madagascar rainbow (Bedotia geayi)

Youkai
04-10-03, 10:30 PM
Hi all,

At work myself and my supervisor (Colleen) have been having horrible luck with these fish. We've set them up 100% perfectly and cared for them exactly as described anywhere you read about them.

Usually after about two days after arrival the fish begin to die. Usually they just drop off without a single thing showing on them. Sometimes they develop a fungus.
We know it isn't the water, food, or improper care. The store obviously will not pay to have one looked at.

It's quite strange. We've even had them breed for us. Slowly the adults die off, even though they were able to spawn right after arrival.

In any case, we are at a loss. We both love these fish. One survivor we had once I purchased for Colleen - she's been eyeing them longer them me. It is now a large, colorful and healthy male.

Has anyone heard of importation problems? Are they hard to ship? Could they be diseased before arrival?

Any suggestions are appreciated...

Shane Tesser
04-11-03, 09:39 AM
I have never kept these personally Youkai, i dont see them too often in my area. But i did some research for you, and i did find several books that stated that they often die from stress. Ive heard in several species that stress can cause the slime coat to deteriorate...perhaps this would explain the fungus. One book even boldly states that they absolutely must be kept in groups or they will die very quickly....if they can die that quick from being lonely...the long transport im sure could do the same thing.

Youkai
04-11-03, 01:17 PM
Well, that makes some sense now. It's odd though, I've actually never seen it mentioned that they stress out that easily. :/

In any case, we usually release them into a well planted tank full of driftwood. I guess the next step will be to pour a gallon of some kind of stress coat into the tank with them.

We always buy them in groups of at least thirty, so numbers haven't been a problem.

Currently her loan male is doing alright. In fact, he's being downright amorous towards the dwarf rainbows. (Melanotaenia praecox)

Anyway, thanks for checking that out for me Shane. :)

leeD
04-11-03, 09:59 PM
Hi i have a pair in a community tank.. We have lots at work.. and they do really good.. alot of them died off when they got ich.. but thats about it.. Mine at home are bold and healthy.. and boss everyone around.. I would say that its probably just bad batches of fish from the same person..

Lee

17730turtlegirl
04-28-03, 04:04 PM
did you ever think that they are eating some of the plants and the plants are killing them ?
next time try them in a non-planted tank with something to provide an enhanced slime coat also put a half teaspoon of salt per gallon of water

Youkai
04-28-03, 09:34 PM
They do not like salt in their water, first off. I also abhor the use of salt as a 'prevent all' for all fish - because it isn't. It can do more damage then good to many fish. If there is a problem with some fish, find the problem, don't just 'add salt.'

Also, I am familiar with aquatic plants, there is nothing toxic in their tank. I would never do <i>anything</i> as irresponsible as adding toxic plants to an aquarium! And yes, we've tried them in bare tanks too, and other kinds of set-ups as well.

We've established the need for something to help their slime coat, see above posts.

We've nailed it down to the fact that the fish are being mistreated somewhere along the lines before they get to us. Probably, and unfortunately, by our suppliers. >:(
We did another order, and we managed to save a good portion of the fish this time around.