PDA

View Full Version : whoohoo

jason h
04-07-03, 09:35 PM
well I managed to pic up a nice (still skittish) water monitor (5+') yesterday though this is not my first monitor but it is the first time starting out with a monitor that is not a baby when i purchased it,so here lies the the reason for this post i would very much like to get him settled down to be tolerable to handling (when babies its easier) but with one this size i would like some opinions on how this may or may not be acomplished? eg. positive re-enforcement and how etc. any help would be gladly taken

Steeve B
04-07-03, 10:35 PM
Excellent usually they settle faster then hatchelling, all of the big monitors are skittish when young as they perceive you as a predator, 5+ footers are quit comfy with their size, they learn very fast that you are not a treat to them, with gentle feeding with tongs you will gain his trust, be patient and very soon you will be able to touch him without scaring him, start by small interaction such as gently moving him out to clean his water pan, using a glass to put water on his back and gently brush him with a soft brush, he will rapidly learn to enjoy this and soon will trust you to handle him out of his cage. I bet if you’re gentle and deliberate in your movements, you will post a photo of him and you before a month, that’s about 47 months faster then your average adult Niloticus.
Kind regards

jason h
04-07-03, 10:50 PM
thank you steve, your post has made me very happy i assumed that a larger would be more set in his ways and therefore more difficult to accomplish a trust with.You dont know haw extremely happy this makes me.(especially when my wife is standing there shaking her head as its whipping and hissing at me LOL!!)(shes not a big fan of monitors hehehe!)

Matt
04-08-03, 02:43 PM
congrats Jason!

asphyxia
04-08-03, 07:43 PM
Great stuff Jason,

I am looking forward to your future adventures with this fella.

P.S. One of these days we will meet at a show Im sure

Har de Har!
Brian

chas*e
04-08-03, 07:53 PM
Well, For starters Jay, I'll hog tie it while you sit on it and we can all sit down and enjoy a fish sandwich together LOL!
It really is a beautiful specimen guys!

And Brian...You just missed Jason, He walked in just as you left i think. LOL

Regards.......Ed Holder

Durham Snake Group

Boids & Varanids

Linds
04-09-03, 12:02 AM
Congrats on the new addition! :D