PDA

View Full Version : My Viper Boa is sick! =o(

Monty Python
04-07-03, 01:07 AM
For the past 2 days now...that all-too-familiar "popping" sound when she breathes...and she's sneezing too. It's not helping that I'm having one heck of a time trying to balance out her tank temperature-wise...it's an aquarium so it's very tall, making it difficult to regulate with overhead heat lights. A larger undertank may be in order too.

Do you guys have any tricks or home-brewed remedies for a sneezing snake? I feel so bad...she's been sluggish the past 24 hours, moreso than normal. I am trying to raise tank temps to 85-90 to help stimulate her immune system, and I am lowering the humidity a little bit too (she has a humid hide and a pond incase she feels too dry). If you have any other ideas, please let me know.

If she isn't sounding better in a few days, a vet trip will be in order next weekend!

Tim and Julie B
04-07-03, 01:38 AM
Maybe you should skip waiting and just take her to the vet asap. I know that in the past I've heard people say that by placing your snakes water dish over the undertank and letting them soak can help. And red heat lamps are a good idea too. That's all I can say. Hope she fares well. Keep us posted.

Piers
04-07-03, 01:40 AM
It sonds like pnemonia, or typ of respitory infection. Keep the heat high as close to ninty as posible. don't give it a place cooler than eightyfive.Make sure the water is clean and full. It should be getting antibiotics from a vet that knows what he/she is doing.
The high temp ar a bit extreme and you should monoter the snake closely,if it seems too stressed lower the temps a bit. I've found that the hier temps seems to kill the bacteria but can be hard on the snake. You should make sure the snake is well hydrated,this might mean soaking it for half an hour everyday, you may also have to give it lactated ringers solution,this is done with a needle under the skin,a vet will show you how.
I hope things turn out well, Piers

Linds
04-07-03, 02:38 PM
I would increase her temps to 88 (NO COOL RETREAT) and increase the humidity as well. I wouldn't suggest going warmer than that, viper boas prefer much cooler temps than most other boids. I agree with everyone in that you should seek out a good, qualified vet for a culture, followed by the appropriate course of antiobiotic treatment. Improper temps and humidity levels can be the death of captive herps. Good luck and keep us updated.

Monty Python
04-07-03, 05:33 PM
Will do...

Temp in the enclosure has leveled out nicely. Her tank has a screen top; I laid a sheet of aluminum foil over the top and cut out two round holes for two head lamps which sid on the lid (75w + 100w). Temps are 86 and 88, respectively.

I gave her a once over a few minutes ago, and she doesn't seem to be wheezing as heavily. In the meantime, I'm off to seek a good local reptile vet.