PDA

View Full Version : Dipping thawed/frozen in chicken broth

jncoclub
04-04-03, 04:02 PM
I am not having the best of luck feeding our snakes thawed/frozen food. I am interested in dipping them in chicken broth as it is commonly suggested; however, I don't mean this to be a stupid question, but I need to know... Do you recommend just buying canned chicken broth/soup or do I have to go through the effort of making my own by boiling the heck out of some chicken? The reason I ask is frankly, canned chicken broth/soup has so much sodium and other chemicals and stuff in it that I didn't know if that would be good for my snakes. I've always heard that the red labeled Campbell's soup cans are the worst canned soup you can eat because of all the extra they put in there. Please let me know what I'm sure is a simple answer to my soupy question.

I wonder if they would eat the alphabet noodles? (kidding)

:atom:

Edwin
04-04-03, 05:01 PM
I have tried Campbells chicken broth (low sodium, low fat) on a rescue corn before, and it took it just fine. I just dipped the head of the mouse in it.

Hope it helps.

Matt
04-04-03, 06:46 PM
campbells will work, also, chicken boullion will work too (not as well)

Linds
04-04-03, 07:40 PM
If your worried about the unwanted additives (which I don't blame you for - the stuff is loaded full of crap :rolleyes: ), try looking for an organic chicken soup broth :)

Burmies
04-04-03, 09:24 PM
Canned chicken broth will be fine, but after a few times using it and the snake still does not eat without it then you should get it checked out.

Burmies

eyespy
04-05-03, 12:05 AM
Small doses of salt when an animal hasn't been feeding well can actually be beneficial to keep it well hydrated and keep the kidneys going properly. Just don't overdo the canned broth thing and it should be okay.

If your snake has been getting live or pre-killed feeders regularly then I'd only try the salty broth once or twice.

Zoe
04-05-03, 01:03 AM
Didn't make my IJ want rats, I'll tell you. Grr.

:P
Zoe

marisa
04-05-03, 01:24 AM
I have heard that using chicken broth is useless unless the snake has previous been eating a bird diet...(in the wild or elsewhere)

Is this true?

Marisa

eyespy
04-05-03, 04:12 AM
Not completely, snakes that have eaten birds tend to respond best but even strictly rodent-fed snakes will often respond to that extra aroma and flavor. It's not fool-proof by any means, though, as Zoe said.

marisa
04-05-03, 04:33 PM
Interesting. Thanks!

Marisa

jncoclub
04-07-03, 10:07 AM
This weekend I'll try it- thanks!

Lisa
04-08-03, 07:53 PM
Hasn't worked on our ball python either...