PDA

View Full Version : using Hissing roaches for feeders

promomgr
03-31-03, 06:05 PM
Can anyone advise of their experience of using Madagascar hissing cockroaches for feeders to monitors and Bearded dragons?
Our concern is the sharp points on their legs. We worry this could be harmful to the throats of our lizards.
Any thoughts?
Mark

Steeve B
03-31-03, 11:34 PM
Las Vegas, hum are you the lucky guy tacking care of the white nil? In any case they are safe nothing to wary about, monitors love them. Cheers

Scotty Allen
04-01-03, 04:36 AM
I've used them for monitors, geckos, bearded dragons, anything that eats bugs. Never seen any problem at all with them except the danger of a pregnant female (roach) escaping.

promomgr
04-01-03, 12:13 PM
Thanks
We have read on Kaplan’s site that ALL roaches carry mites. Although I do not see any on mine I did just recently purchased them. To be safe I have not feed them to my spiders or scorpions, as I am unsure if they could be harmful and transfer mites to other bugs.
Any thoughts?

Linds
04-04-03, 07:25 PM
Hmmm... certainly not an experienced person when it comes to roaches. I've fed them before, and never noticed any mites, nor have I ever heard of them harboring mites. However, if this is indeed true and they all carry mites, I would imagine they would be host-specific like the kind that you find on giant millipedes. Again, this is just some speculation, hopefully someone will have a solid answer to your question.

sheldon
04-20-03, 02:09 PM
I breed hissers and discos and never seen or heard of mites ?Discos are the staple diet for my savannah and bearded dragons.Great for gut loading they eat fast and lots.Never had any adverse effects from them!