PDA

View Full Version : Burm feeding?

probe7899
03-30-03, 08:50 PM
Hi every one I have a quick question a friend of mine has a normal burm who is about eight feet currently he tried to get her on to rabbits but she refuses to eat them he has tried every thing like, killed, braining them. His snake looks healthy. My question is when she gets bigger if she still refuses rabbits can he just feed her a few colassel(sorry for spelling) rats.
Thanks
Brian

Blackwidow69
03-30-03, 10:48 PM
:cool: Other than rabbits we use to also feed our big burm chickens as we raised our own and one time we used a new born baby pig, as we have unlimeted source of those but our burm was much bigger than 8ft.. As for collassel rats i would think no prob with those but you might have to use 3 or so of those i would keep trying to get it to switch over to rabbits over a period of time.. Have you tried scenting the rabbit in old rat bedding..:confused:

ThEmAdHaTtEr
03-30-03, 11:23 PM
Chicken Broth gives a good scent to pray. Might wanna try that. Or put the head of the rabbit under a 150 basking bulb for like 10 seconds. That might work too. Good luck!

NewLineReptile
04-16-03, 02:10 AM
maybe if you try rubbing a rat on the rabbit might help

boa
04-16-03, 09:25 AM
don't feed her for awile and then maybe try a rabbit she will most likely take it never had a problem good luck.

Burmies
04-16-03, 04:33 PM
Try to give the rabbit to her live. I give my 9 foot burm live rabbits and I have no problem with it. The rabbits have never bit her in the 2 months I have had her on them. If you need more info, just ask.

Burmies

Mike177
04-16-03, 07:39 PM
try not feeding her if she refuses and wait another week. but do this to an extent obvouls if she dosnt eat in a wile dont keep on trying. but you might try that also you might whant to wait untill she gets a little bigger and as also metioned earler you can also wait a bit and try chickens. Hope this helps.

nhherp
04-16-03, 11:04 PM
Sometimes it just takes time, dont give up. My oldest snake(15yrs) is a burm. I got him just before I started high school. I raised rats at the time and it was no big deal to pitch large quantities of rats down him at a time. Then I moved and could not raise rats, and of course had to start paying which got expensive to say the least. At around 7 years of age I offered him a rabbit, he took it and ate it, but then refused to ever take a rabbit again for next 5 years. I tried everything, only finding luck with gutting a frozen rat and rubbing the rabbits face in it, but this only worked about 40% of the time. I finally just gave up and resumed rat feedings. Then one day I had a rabbit left over from my order, and figured that it had been about 3 wks since the last feeding of rats. I fresh killed the rabbit(I get live from a breeder for all the retics) and opened the door and dangled the rabbit in by the rear legs. The burm hit it and has never looked back, accepting frozen as quickly as FK. It nice to finally be able to feed 1 complete meal at once, not to mention cheaper. Now I start all my offspring(retics, I no longer breed burms) on rats for the first meal and then quickly switch to rabbit pups on any I consider keeping for my private collection and breeding stock. I definately dont want a retic being a rat addict. I have one, but luckily for me it my breeder male Bali so its not big a problem. I type this after just placing an order for 50 jumbo rats.
Notah

BurmBaroness
04-17-03, 02:56 PM
Please, I have to disagree with the feeding of a live rabbit. Just because your burm hasn't been injured by a rabbit, YET, you have only been doing that for a couple of months. Rabbits not only have large teeth, they have very sharp claws that can slice you burm to ribbons. I have never had a problem switching the most established live-feeding burms to f/t.

ReptiZone
04-17-03, 04:10 PM
I realt need to stress what BurmBaroness said you may have never had to fix a feeding acident but it cost an arm and a leg (200$) and that was just for a rat bit that I had time to catch and remove b4 it got out of hand feeding live food is a big no no.And if you forget about the cash issue dont forget about the physical and mental stress it puts on your snake after it's ben attacked.

NewLineReptile
04-19-03, 11:34 PM
Wow !!! 33 rat's could you not of found a paper boy you know the one's that trample though your garden it might be a bit cheaper LOL