PDA

View Full Version : Abcess -> RI -> mouth rot -> NEXT????

Denethor
03-27-03, 10:39 AM
Hi....
I have "a few" problem with my retic... And I really would like your opinion about them....
Here is his small story.....:
Everything began I think 5 week ago ....
A small abcesss grow in his nose, just between the 2 nostril and one smaller on the head near the eye that apear the day before I went to the vet... That take me 2 ******* week to realise that there were really something wrong with his nose...
the worst... is that I was triing to convince me that it was "normal" :(:( I saw it only in comparaison betwen some pictures that I show to someone......( the abcesss is reallly centered so it can almost look normal...)
So I went to the vet... he confirm me that was an abcesss with somes "taking away"?.... He chirurgicaly remove the abcess and prescrive me some Foracin a topic antibiotic... he said me that he doesnt want to give me something like Baytril...he think its too powerfull and risky to give something like that to my baby retik (5 feet..) ...
He also said that I didnt need to give him something more powerfull in injection because it was near the skin and if I was keeping the wound open with a 50/50 of peroxid and betadine that would do the same job....
It take 3 ***** week to totaly get rid of the abcess... and now since monday I leave the cicatrisation process to himself ...
BUT..... a few day before that........ Sauron begin to do some kinnnd of respiratory infection.... there was bubble in one of his nostril.... and kind of bubling saliva in his mouth.... the vet take some mucous from the nostril to analyze them.... I call him back this morning... and he confirm that there are bacteria and he gonna prescrive me an other antibiotic.... I only have a rv with him tomorow night :(...
But thats not all!
Yesterday night......... I realise that he develop something like mouth rot also...........:(
Im really desesperate..........
Im gonna try that antibiotic........ and if that dont work you can be sure that im gonna change of vet...... but he look to know what he is doing despite everything....
I just want to know what your thinking about all that please...
Do you thing what my vet is doing sound ok? or he is totaly wrong since the begining.... there is definitivelly something wrong somewhere........ :(:confused: or im just reallly not lucky?
Thanks..
cya
Denethor
PS: sorry for the long post and also for the bad english btw lol and if you want me to post some pics of all that ... just ask

Snake Lady
03-27-03, 04:41 PM
pic would be cool to see what you are dealing with it "SOUNDS" like the vet it doing a good job the abses COULD have blocked the nasil area and if your retic had a RI b4 hand you could have not seen the sings that are related to the nostrils when the vet unblocked the nostrils then you could see what was not clear to you b4 now with all that mucas gathering up in the mouth it commes to be no suprise to me that you have a case of mouth on your hands. Just listen to your vet he/she knows whats best .

P.S: I said "SOUNDS" like the vet..... cause I am shour we all had our case of the vet doing a Pi$$ pore job and find our self defending or glamoring the vet cause HE/SHE went to school
and I said COULD caus it could be somthin totaly diffrent I just stated the logical that is all.

It sucks that you got some $hity luck with your retic but it sounds like you are doing a great job and you are not afraid to put the $$$ in your snake witch is realy great.

good luck :cool:

ReptiZone
03-27-03, 04:51 PM
sorry my bad the G/F did'nt sigh out

Corey Woods
03-27-03, 05:42 PM
Mouth Rot as well as swollen nostrils can be secondary infections to a Respiratory Problem. If it were me I'd insist the vet give me injectable Fortaz (Ceftazidime) that was injected every 3 days at a dosage of 28 mg/kg. That should clear up everything.

Good Luck,
Corey

Blackwidow69
03-27-03, 10:19 PM
Aawwww, so sorry to here your snake is sick, hope it gets better soon.. sounds to me like the vet is doing a ok job, but it could have had Ri befour the other probs started and the stress from the other health probs just brought it out.. As for the Baytril, well i sure dont like it and have my vet use other meds insted as there are alot of probs with using Baytril. If miss used it can kill and also cause alot of probs as well.. Hang in there and hope things get better....

Denethor
03-27-03, 11:31 PM
Thanks a lot , things begin to clarify for me...! There are so much thing apening at the same time that it become hard to understand all them the good way

Ive take somes good representavives pictures ( that i already had ) and take a few other ...
Here is Sauron a few month ago... everyting ok¨
http://www.ssnakess.com/photopost/data/500/1350122-2206_img-med.jpg

A few day before going to the vet...
http://www.ssnakess.com/photopost/data/500/1350122-2271_img-med.jpg

After the vet chirurgicaly remove the abcess ( they were really small.. something like 2 milimeter)
http://www.ssnakess.com/photopost/data/500/1350123-2377_img-med.jpg

Today.... :( In only 2 days it get 5 time worst then it was.... It was almost cure!
http://www.ssnakess.com/photopost/data/500/1350126_2604-med.jpg

Today... some kind of mouth rot on the lower lip
http://www.ssnakess.com/photopost/data/500/1350126_2611-med.jpg
Im gonna really talk to my vet about fortaz...
Thanks a lot
Cya
Denethor

Corey Woods
03-28-03, 06:47 AM
It looks to me that surgically removing the absesses was unnecessary as I believe they were caused by a buildup of mucus caused by the RI infection and mouth rot. Fortaz would have cleared everything up.

Corey

Denethor
03-28-03, 11:17 AM
mmm ok... but wathever the cause of the abcess , I always had in mind before that they all needed to be remove chirurgicaly??
but, the mouth rot look only like a complication of the RI, as i said its really recent..
but its true that maybe thats the RI that cause the abcess... he always been really sensible to RI, thats not his first, but they were really light so they almost cure by themself ( with a small augmentation of temperature)

Denethor
04-03-03, 12:25 PM
Hi...
The antibiotics injection had begin since a few days... thats a quinolone of some sort ( forgot the name sorry)
and the healing of the mouth rot is also help by an other topic antibiotic.. he lost 3 teeth, but the vet think that wasnt cause by the mouth rot cuz they wasnt all in the region on the mouth rot, really weird...
and I talk him about Fortaz.... and this antibiotic isnt available on the veterinal market of quebec... only for human, and they sell it 250$ for the smallest bottle..... so we forget it and anyway he said it wasnt the most effective antibiotic to use in the case of my retic..
Denethor