PDA

View Full Version : worried??

ReptileX
03-24-03, 11:09 PM
I have a baby burm about 5-6 months old, and lately its been making a weird loud hacking noise like maybe a furball?? not too often but like mayeb once every other day...is it maybe a type of RI? so any type of info or meds to take would be apreaciated
thanks,
Ryan

ThEmAdHaTtEr
03-24-03, 11:11 PM
Yeah that sounds like RI to me. My Ball did that when she had her RI...Does it open its mouth when it does this? Is it dry or is it like slurrpy? Might wanna get a vert to check this out. Good luck!

ReptileX
03-24-03, 11:19 PM
yea he opens his mouth to do it, but seems dry i think

Zoe
03-24-03, 11:20 PM
Sounds definitely like an RI to me... What temps are you keeping him at?
Make an apointment with a vet asap, he'll prescribe some meds (Baytril) and hopefully fix the snake up quick.

ReptileX
03-24-03, 11:46 PM
i've been keeping temps high between 80 and 90, can you get RI from beeing too hot??

BurmBaroness
03-25-03, 10:20 AM
Proper temps for a burmese pythons should be NO LOWER than 80 degreesF on the cool side, and on the hot side, should stay between 90-93. Too COLD will cause an RI, which seems to be what happened. Get the snake to a vet, and good luck

Blackwidow69
03-25-03, 11:16 AM
:( Yup sounds like RI to me to.. Make sure to get to the vets and if ya do, see if you can also get a vitamin B6-12 shot with the Baytril. I dont care for Baytril as it can cause alot of probs. if given in the wrong dosage.. Lots luck and hope it gets better soon..

BreaksBabe
03-25-03, 06:54 PM
my burmese has an RI right now and she's been prescribed 1ml of Baytril a day for 6days. i got oral antibiotics. yours is a lot smaller than mine so youll have an easier time giving your burmese the med. its hard giving a 6ft snake med. by y ourself. if strated to just inject it into the dead rats and then feed them to her.

LdyDrgn
03-25-03, 06:57 PM
Have you been keeping it at the proper humidity as well?

Burmies
03-25-03, 09:48 PM
Your best bet is to take it to the vet for a check up.

Burmies

ReptileX
03-30-03, 07:03 PM
Thanxs everyone...i met someone around here thats quite knowledgeable and he said he don't have RI yet! but juts a "cold" he said to put a tetra coloraphine pill in the water and put a multi-vitimen on the rats and i have to have more humity... witch bring me to a question...how can i get humity with a paper towl for substrate?? and is what he told me a great idea?

Blackwidow69
03-30-03, 10:40 PM
:cool: If i was you i would still take it to the vet if it shows no improvment, theres alot of things on the market that work and then again theres alot of things on the market you should never use.. But i would be on the safe side and take it to the vets.. Just my 2 cents worth...:cool:

Dom
03-31-03, 08:08 AM
a small "cold" - no offense but what does that mean? I guess a cold would be ri no?

Don't trust everything u get told by ppl .. personally if u have never dealt with sick animals u should take it to a vet .. as for the "prescribed" medicine ure friend gave u .. I'd worry a bit about it.. I have seen many many things before and this one I am unfamilliar with ..

If u don't want to take it to a vet.. best advise i could give u is sky rocket your temps for a while..

Low of 87 to high of 108... Every time I have encountered an RI .. High temps and high humidities has curred it a a matter of days to weeks.. I personally would not put him on baythryl unless its trully needed.. baythryl looses its affectiveness on the same snakes each time it is used..

Just my thoughts .. take it or leave it

ReptiZone
03-31-03, 12:07 PM
last time I checked the calsium on the rats is only if your animale has a calsium defeshency(cant quit spell that right sorry) I never put pils and $hit in my water bowls I am not a pro but if you put somthing like a pill in the water in a super warm enclosure would't that give bacteria somthing to fead on. I might be wrong probebly am it was just a thaught. Yes a warm cage is great the paper towels as a substrat is a asome Idea. WHEN and only WHEN the RI (cold) is under control that is when you want to consider bring up your humatiti to 65%-75% I am teling you man not a word of lie if you bring the humititi up b4 the RI is up to speed you can drown your snak in its own mucas Burmbarones can fill you in ont the specifices if she reads this thred. She is the one that thaught me that threw a thread I was reading.And a vet trip is a good Idea evean if the vet down home sux. You should invest in the "whats wrong with my snake" book not to practice vetranary work but so you can ID some disorders b4 they get out of hand and your vet can refer to it if you bring it in and he / she can teach you how to do sertin thing if you show you are serious about you pets 2-3 years down the road you will be able to treat your snakes (smal colds) on your own. that is what I do but now I am in montreal where some of the best reptile vets in canada are and I am not too fare from toronto witch is a bonus. You need to get that RI under control soon if you don't it will alwas come back to haunt your burm this time of year. Any way I am out take care.

ReptileX
03-31-03, 10:13 PM
thanks guys, today i baught a smaller tank, 20 gal. and heat tape so the heat would be more intensafide... temps are 82(cold)side and 92 warm side at night and 90(cold)105(warm) right now and thats without the heat tape..i put the heat tape on his real cage for when he moves back..
On a good note hes still not weising and i havn't herd the hacking in 3 days (seems fine) but i'll keep him in there at least another week or two...

NewLineReptile
04-19-03, 11:43 PM
100% agree with dom

good luck