PDA

View Full Version : heat tape setup

Matt
05-28-02, 01:28 PM
im setting up heat tape in a melamine rack for the first time <i> on my own </i> this week and I need to know how to go about it.

I have printed off soime plans, but I want to know how people with experience have done it.....i would rather NOT start any fires

if anyone want to try and explain it too me, i would be forever indebted to you :)

thanks all

gunnerslakeshor
05-28-02, 10:21 PM
Ive had a little experiance working with heat tape and this is what i did with it.
After building my vivarium i sandwiched the heat tape between layers of glass underneath (not attached to the unit)
There for i could take it out if i wanted to move things around and i had very good results and consistant temps.
Not sure what your building but i hope this helps out.
Phil

Grant vg
05-28-02, 11:00 PM
matt,

i too sandwiched the heat tape like gunner....except, i attached the heat tape on slabs of 5/8 inch thick melamine and slid them under each enclosure....so again like gunner, it can be pulled out from underneath each enclosure for maintenence etc...i used 11 inch heat tape and without a thermostat the heat tape heats a 100+ degrees to my surprise....u'll only need a foot to heat a 4 x 2 foot enclosure assuming ambient is 80 or so....

Ian
05-29-02, 10:38 PM
Is the heat tape for underneath rubbermaids or under the actual cage? If it's for underneath rubbermaids like in my setup I'll post some pics because I'm ripping this one down right now and I'm going to split it into two. So when I go to wire the second one I can show you everything I did.

Jeff_Favelle
05-30-02, 09:39 AM
Ian, I still don't see why you can't fit Jungles on top of that rack!! Ha ha!

jason h
05-30-02, 12:06 PM
ian why sepperate it i like the looks of that rack the way it is?:confused:

Ian
05-30-02, 08:49 PM
Try and carry that sucka. It's eight feet across. Besides if I cut it in two I can stack them and build another cage of the left for female ball pythons :)