PDA

View Full Version : A Question from a new Collector

Sparda
03-20-03, 03:26 PM
Hi everyone, I just have a question that I would appreciate all advice on. I purchased a corn at a show on March 2nd. They told me that he was 6 mos. old. He is very small next to my other corn who is approximately 7 mos. old. He is very slender almost like he is not very old. Well he has been eating pinkies every 4 days, but today I found a pinkie in the viv that had been regurgitated from Tuesday feeding. I try to pick out the smallest pinkies for him. Is there anything else I could do? Also he never, ever comes out of his hide on the warm side of the viv, only when I take him out to handle him. My other corn is out exploring almost every night, except on feeding night and somtimes the night after. Could there be something wrong with the one from the show or is he just to small? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Herp guy
03-20-03, 03:41 PM
No, I have a question. Do you feed it every day since you got it? If you did cut back and feed him once a week.My animals all have different temperaments.Your new one could be shy and just wants to hole up. The regurjitated pinkie may have been because of a conflict between the two snakes or if you handeled him after he ate he might have thrown it up. On the slender size i have seen two of the same kind of cornsnake at the same age and some are just more slender than others. The 7 mos. old one may have been feeding up really well and the one you bought at the show could have been underfeed. Hope it helps. Jake

Big Mike
03-20-03, 03:43 PM
Make sure the temps are OK. Regurgitation can be caused by inadequate temps for digestion. It could also be stress. Could be parasites. I would say...don't handle him at all and feed very small pinkies. Maybe get him checked for internal parasites.

Other people on this site have had problems with baby corns regurging...maybe they can give better advise.

Good Luck

Herp guy
03-20-03, 03:59 PM
yes, you could check temp and humidity first. If that is still good i think you should go to a vet to be checked for parasites or some other disease. Thats all the advice i really have.

jay76
03-20-03, 05:50 PM
Yep, definitely check your temps... my corn wasn't eating for a while because the temp was too high (somehow the thermometer got switched to inside instead of outside). Do you have a hide for him on the warm side too?

Sparda
03-20-03, 07:15 PM
He has hides on both sides of the viv. I wish I could post pictures so you guys could see what I am talking about him being so small. When I do handle him he feels like there is no muscle. On the other hand my other corn is very strong and I can feel the muscle in him when he goes through my fingers and hand. His body is in round but the other (the small one) his body is kind of pointy. Like you can see where his backbone is. I think I will get him checked out if he does this again. He has had no problems eating until this time. He just doesn't seem to be growing that fast. Thanks for all the advice by the way.

Burmies
03-20-03, 07:39 PM
Do not feed him every 4 days. Every 7 days or so. You might also have a bad snake, I would take him to the vet and get a full check up and have his stool checked as well.

Burmies

BurmBaroness
03-20-03, 07:45 PM
Actually, it sounds like a neonate. length of the snake would help in determining approximate age. If it is around 16-18 inches or smaller, I would feed every 5-6 days, as 4 days is too often. also, if he's had a regurge problem before you got him, it just exacerbates the problem to feed too close together. Also, you didn't say if they are in the same enclosure or not, but if they are, and he is smaller than your other corn, separate them immediately, as being in with a larger snake could very well caues alot of stress to the smaller snake. Also, I second the advice for a vet visit, internal parasites can also cause this problem. Good luck, and let us know how he does.