PDA

View Full Version : Who's interested in another Pelee Island trip in May?

Jeff Hathaway
03-18-03, 08:19 PM
I'm debating whether to organize another Pelee Island trip this spring. It would be for the May long weekend, May 17-19. The trip is a mixture of field herping and habitat restoration projects. Participants will definitely see lots of snakes, turtles, and maybe some amphibians, and photo oppurtunities are numerous. We would also be digging holes, moving rocks, and doing other active physical things to benefit herps, including the many species at risk that are found on the island. Assume that you will get dirty. We would be camping, as in the past, but B&Bs are nearby if people need a real bed.

Jonathan Crowe has created the official Pelee 2002 website, and I urge anyone interested to check out the trip reports, pics, etc. that can be found at http://www.mcwetboy.net/pelee2002/

This trip is not done to make money, but it is not free either. Costs for ferry, gas, food, etc. are divided and will likely be in the range of $60-$80 per person.

Organizing a trip this year would be tricky for me, but I may be able to manage it, so please let me know ASAP if you would be interested in going.

Jeff Hathaway
Sciensational Sssnakes!!

Kyle Barker
03-20-03, 12:43 AM
$60-80 from where? I have no idea where it is but it sounds cool.

Swampwalker
03-20-03, 12:59 AM
not $60 from BC. LOL Its in Ontario, and it is cool. I've been down there two yrs in a row and Jeff does a fantastic job of organizing it (Jenny too). There is always lots of herps to be found and its a great group of people. Check the link that Jeff posted, there is tons of pics (a collaboration from the particapants).

Kyle Barker
03-20-03, 05:26 AM
ya i thought it seamed pretty chep :) Aprox how much is it to get to wherever the starting point is (on the plane)? Where would i need to fly to? I will be checking it out right after i post this. Thanks.

kyle

Jeff Hathaway
03-20-03, 12:31 PM
Kyle,

You could fly to Toronto or to Detroit. Rides would definitely be available from Toronto; Detroit could be tricky. You would definitely be the person making the longest trek- we've had people from as far away as northern Michigan and Quebec in the last couple of years, but no one from the west coast!

For clarification, last year people who met us at the ferry dock paid $60, people who rode down with me from Toronto in the van paid $85.

Compared to several hundred dollars for tour company trips, this is pretty cheap. And yes, we'll be doing a bunch of volunteer work, but you'll also get to see many more herps, and up close, too, than you would with a regular tour company, or if you went by yourself.

Jeff

Christina
03-21-03, 04:55 PM
Ya put me in for two sounds like alot of fun Jeff Jason and Derek Sharpe

Kyle Barker
03-24-03, 03:43 PM
I definatly want to go, just depends how much airfare is (and how poor i am at the time). Any idea how much it is to fly to toronto? Thaks
kyle

Beejay
03-24-03, 04:54 PM
I already replied through email but YES I'm interested as always!!!! One ticket for Bertha and no baby this time! Thanks Jeff!

Bj

fr0glet
03-27-03, 09:01 PM
HEY! Pelee Island is my favorite vacation spot in the whole world! I go there every summer. This summer (July 1-5) I'm taking my honeymoon there!

I've had some excellent accidental herping experiences there, most notable was a blue racer I estimate at 8 feet long! I'll post pics of her in another thread...

Wish I could make it for your journey, unfortunately I am another west-coaster. I'll be there in July though! :D