PDA

View Full Version : More Veiled Help

tHeGiNo
03-16-03, 07:44 PM
Alright, well I just recently noticed my Veiled Chameleon's chin has puffed up. It is not the kind of puffing when he is angry and trying to intimidate me, it is closer to being on his chin. He was really stressed out today and got really angry, could this be why. Again this is NOT the kind of puffing up related to being angry.

Zoe
03-16-03, 07:52 PM
My female panther sometimes does little 'half puffs' when she's a little irritated, like if I'm walking around a lot and stuff.
I'd just try leaving your chameleon alone for a while, blanket his cage and let him relax for a day (check on him on occaision, of course :])

I don't think it's serious, anyway!

tHeGiNo
03-16-03, 07:58 PM
No, I am almost positive it is not puffing due to anger. It's on his neck, when he puffs it is usually his chin then his neck. The reason i dont think its due to anger is that #1 he is generally a really nice, easy going cham. His neck has been like that for a few hours, when im near his aquarium, when I hold him and hes perfectly calm, and when im nowhere near the enclosure. It doesn't SEEM to bother him, it looks something like he swallowed his tounge.

Trace
03-16-03, 11:31 PM
Hello again!

I'm a little lost as to what you are describing here. Do you have a pic of his chin and/or neck? What you are describing could, in fact be completely normal... could also be an infection or gular edema or various other things. I'm not trying to scare you, you did mention in another post that you did see some odd breathing issues with your cham.

What you are maybe seeing is the hyolingual apparatus. That is the group of muscles, ligaments and bones in a chameleons jaw and mouth. When you watch a chameleon eat, you can sometimes see the movement of these parts when they chew and swallow. My guess is that you are seeing him move the apparatus around.

Another point I should mention is chameleons really should be kept in a screened cage. Or at least an enclosure with 2 sides being screen. Aquariums tend to get VERY hot and do not provide a proper heat gradient within. Also due to the heavy misting that chameleons require on a daily basis, tanks can be a breeding ground for molds and fungi because of that heat and lack of airflow. I would look into getting him another enclosure.

I don't know if I helped any this time 'round! I probably just confused you more! Keep me posted about him.

Trace