PDA

View Full Version : Aquarium repair question...

Simon R. Sansom
03-16-03, 05:03 PM
Hi folks,
I'm wondering if an old 125 gallon tank can be fixed...The bottom is cracked from front to back.
Is it possible to safely fix it or even replace the bottom glass somehow?
I just wanted to know if anyone has had any actual experience in this area.

Thanks for your time

Simon

Scotty Allen
03-16-03, 06:19 PM
Yes Simon, the glass can be replaced. Check with your local supplier if they can recommend someone for you. However, 125 gal. is a lot of water, you want to be sure and get somebody good. With the price of aquaria these days though, you might be best just to buy a new one.

ETET
03-16-03, 07:34 PM
Usually if the bottom of a tank broken, I just get a new one. Even the glass replaced, the water pressure with all the objects inside the tank may make the tank leak. My opinion- don't take the risk as 125 gal is lot of water.

ETET

silke
03-16-03, 09:05 PM
125 gallon tank sounds nice and big for a snake....
if you can't make it water tight then you can always make a nice display tank....

Simon R. Sansom
03-16-03, 10:05 PM
Thanks Scotty,
I'll check with some glaziers in the area. If I don't feel confident about it, I won't bother. The last thing I need is 100-odd gallons of water all over my basement.
Any idea of the cost of a new standard 125?

Silke,
My Male Jamaican boa currently resides in it. He'll be getting a new, custom-made home soon.

Thanks, people!

Simon

corr
03-17-03, 06:09 AM
125's go for less than 300 bucks usually. A piece of 1/2 inch glass 72" x 18" (?) will probably be more than a hundred and you still have to have it installed.

Simon R. Sansom
03-17-03, 03:33 PM
Thanks corr,
Looks like I'll purchase a new one eventually. I guess it would be silly to try to have the cracked one repaired, wouldn't it? $300.00 or so for a new one doesn't seem quite that bad.
Is there anywhere on-line that I can see some prices on new tanks? It's been a LONG time since I've bought one.

Thanks for your time.

Simon

corr
03-18-03, 06:07 AM
There is really no place for aquariums on line. The best place to go is Big Al's (Aquarium Services). They have the best prices on tanks IMO but even they don't have them on their site.

Simon R. Sansom
03-18-03, 03:05 PM
Thanks again, corr!

Simon

Herp guy
03-18-03, 03:08 PM
Yeah,buy a neew one it isnt worth it . Keep the 125 for a snake though.