PDA

View Full Version : Dirt

norman
03-14-03, 03:13 PM
Just wondering how often everyone changes the dirt in their monitor cages.
I also want to see your cages. I am going to be building a bigger cage for my savannah soon so i want ideas and suggestions.
thanks
pete

Steeve B
03-16-03, 01:36 AM
Hello Norman, it’s pretty hard to answer your question without knowing the size of cage, size of monitor and amount of dirt you are using, but here’s an idea, let’s say you built a 6 feet by 2 feet by 3 feet high cage, then ad 1 feet of dirt all over the entire floor. By scooping an occasional dropping, with this set up I change my dirt once a year, I put the old dirt in a sand box outside and throw a handful of grass seeds in it, by the end of summer its covered with roots and the rain and wind as washed it perfectly, to this I ad some oak leaves and mix in October, bingo ready to use by next spring. This makes the absolute best dirt for nesting and borrowing.

norman
03-16-03, 01:50 AM
thanks steeve,
Its going to be 6' long, 3'wide, and 2.5' high... But that could change. I have to build the cage somewhere other than at my house so it has to fit though my doors.which means at least one side will have to be 2.5 feet.
The savannah monitor we have is just a little guy right now,aprox 11", but i want the cage to last it through its life. Any sugestions are welcome!
thanks
pete

Dom
03-16-03, 09:46 AM
Hey Norman .. i just built myself a 6x4x3 cage.. I have pics of it .. but there not up on the site yet.. I will have em up by late late tonight if ud like to see em..

asphyxia
03-16-03, 08:58 PM
I would also Like to see those Pics Dom

Thanks
Brian