PDA

View Full Version : Dendroaspis sp.

red_dragon
03-13-03, 11:57 PM
Does anyone keep any of the Dendroaspis species?

ETET
03-14-03, 02:28 AM
Saw this species a few times but haven't kept one before. If I have a chance to keep one, I like a d. jamesoni kimosae. Are you going to get a dendroaspis yourself red dragon?

ETET

Jeremy
03-14-03, 12:29 PM
I personaly have never kept Dendroaspis sp in my collection but I have worked to some extent with every sp and ssp. Very rewarding yet very, very, very dangerous snakes!

Is there anything in pirticular you wanted to know about them?

Personaly, I find polylepis(Blacks) to be the most interesting but also am very found of the D.augusticeps (Eastern Green) and think they are far and away the best looking of genus.

Welp, let me know what you were fishing for:-)

All the best,
J

rd_drgn
03-14-03, 11:27 PM
Sorry for the screen name, I'm currently having troubles getting into my other accounts. I do not own any venomous snakes yet, but I wil, and in time I will most likely have a dendroaspis species, I especially like the Dendroaspis typus.

BWSmith
03-16-03, 09:11 PM
mambas are VERY dangerous hots. Please wait until you have MANY years of experience with hots. ;)

red mamba
03-17-03, 02:03 PM
Again, I apologize for the new name...again. BWSmith, I plan on having at least 5 years hot experience before getting a mamba. I am going to be purchasing a Boiga Dendrophila within the next few months.
Richard

Nightflight99
03-22-03, 08:13 PM
I do not own any venomous snakes yet, but I wil, and in time I will most likely have a dendroaspis species, I especially like the Dendroaspis typus.

Dendroaspis typus, eh? Is that the famous mamslang or the notorious Boomba...? ;)

In all seriousness - there is no such thing as "Dendroaspis typus". The genus Dendroaspis contains the four species of mambas, whereas "typus" refers to the species Dispholidus typus, the boomslang. While these snakes share large parts of their general distribution range, neither was scientifically ever thought to be the same genus or species as the other.

As a matter of fact, Dispholidus typus was originally described as Bucephalus typus by Smith (1829).

Anyways, I agree that Dendroaspis is a very fascinating genus.

BWSmith
03-24-03, 07:49 PM
Dispholidus typus was originally described as Bucephalus typus by Smith (1829).
God, I'm old!!! :D

red mamba
03-24-03, 11:22 PM
Sorry Mr.Smith, I got the names mixed up [:s] , It is Dendroaspis Angusticeps that I mistook for Dendroaspis Typus(in all reality , Dispholidus Typus) just checked my encyclopedia [;)]... best $200 I've ever spent.

red mamba
03-24-03, 11:24 PM
By Mr.Smith I meant Nightflight99, another mix-up...can you tel I haven't had much sleep?

cobraman
03-24-03, 11:35 PM
The Black Mamba----The most dangerous snake in the world (in my opinion). I agree with Brian, take your time getting into keeping these. They are cool, but very dangerous. Just my 2 cents
Blessings, all
Ray Hunter