PDA

View Full Version : Agkistrodon doesn't eat

reptilesalonica
03-09-03, 07:17 PM
http://www.ssnakess.com/photopost/data/510/1646agkistrodon_bilineatus_taylori2_c_-med.jpg My Agkistrodon hasn't ate since October. November to late January, i had him for brumation so that he don't loose much weight. After the brumation, again only 1-2 strikes with close mouth. I tried both dead-alive white mouse. His body mass though is good. Any other time except brumation he was kept warm and a bit dry. Any suggestions?? ~Greg~

BWSmith
03-10-03, 09:03 AM
Try putting alot of leaves and such in there for him to hide in and feel secure. Try scenting a F/T with chicken broth. That has worked for me with piscovorus. And i have had good luck with my old standby: Filling the cage with as much crap as can be safely placed and throwing in a live feeder. I have gotten MANY picky feeders to ake a mouse that way.

I know how ya feel. I got an EDB and a Canebrake that don't want to eat :mad:

Gregg M
03-10-03, 09:05 PM
Frog piss seems to work with these guys also...... I have heard something about the chicken broth also on other amphibian and reptile eaters...... What is the deal with that Brian??? I dont think chicken broth smells like lizard or frog piss at all.......LOL......

BWSmith
03-10-03, 09:26 PM
Don't know, but it works. I know Cottons will eat anything, but coppers are a little pickier. i am just suprised that I got half of the coppers eating rat pups. Usually they won't touch a rat.

Jeremy
03-11-03, 12:43 PM
Hi,
I currently keep 1.1 Agkistrodon taylori and to date have had little or no problems getting them to feed. However, I have heard of many people who have had hell. I think with taylori, alot of people keep them way too wet, which leads to alot of feeding problems but you mentioned he was maybe too dry in which case I would say your keeping him just fine.

I would make sure all of the husbandry requirements are met to T, includeing a hid spot(which if yours is like mines, he will never use!), fresh water at all times and temps in the mid to lower 80s during the day with a drop to the high/mid 70s at night. As for feeding, I would try fish and frog sent over anything else, especilay frog. I have had great sucsess getting a bull frog tad poll, freezeing it in the water it came in and then thawing it out and dumping the food item in the water. I havent tried this on Agkistrodon yet but it works great on stubborn Naja.

Im curious, how have you been offering it food? From the looks of it, hes about sub adult size, correct? Have you tried tease feeding? When mine were neonates, I had a few weeks of trouble trying to get them to feed and finnalty found their G spot if you will. Try takeing a small, non intimidateing prey item and make sure its very warm. Then, wave it around his face for a min. If you dont get a response, try tapping him 1/3 of the way down his body, gently a few times and then back off and try again. This really pissed mine off and almost always got them to bite down hard. If you do get him to take a good chomp, leave it infront of him. Alot of the time they will eat if they smell there venom in a prey item.

If all else fails, wait a bit longer. If hes been eating before, he will eat again(if theres nothing wrong with him that is). Ive had many Agkistrodons of all sp go for long periods of time without eating only to come back to life when they got real hungry. Just pay close attention to his weight.

Good luck and keep us updated.

All the best,
J