PDA

View Full Version : Bitis defication.....

Gregg M
03-08-03, 07:46 PM
I was looking through some literature that I have collected over the past few years and found an interesting report on the reason why large ground dwelling vipers retain fecal matter....... From what the report says fecal matter is used as an anchor or balast for the big vipers...... Without the weight of the the fecal matter the powerful strikes would not be as controlled as they are....... Unlike tree vipers, gaboons and other large vipers have nothing to anchor them selves to when striking..... This is where the extra weight from fecal matter comes in....... Fecal matter in a gaboon viper can make up to 25% of its body weight....... And gaboons have been known to retain fecal matter for up to a year with no ill effects...... The beauty of all this is that it cost the viper nothing to retain fecal matter where as bone, muscle, and fatty tissue does..... Extra weight at no biological cost...... I thought this was pretty interesting and sounds reasonable to me...... So for anyone worried about their gaboon or puff adder not pooping, there is no reason to worry at all.......Any thoughts?????

BurmBaroness
03-08-03, 08:37 PM
Very interesting info. I love hots, to LOOK at. I am in no way interested in keeping them. They are fascinating creatures, and the pics you have posted of yours are awesome. Gaboons are my fav to look at, they don't even look real, looks like someone painted them. Rhinos are also a fav, close behind the Gaboons. Thanks for sharing the pics, and keep them coming. It's fun to look at something you can never have.........lol. Something to drool over.

marisa
03-08-03, 08:54 PM
Are these thoughts limited to hot species? I don't see why it wouldn't serve true for other ground dwelling snakes..???

Either way its very interesting, thanks for sharing.

Marisa

reptilesalonica
03-08-03, 10:18 PM
...I am thinkin of...when it is time for them to poop...HOW MANY POUNDS OF ****!!!...LOL

Gregg M
03-09-03, 12:09 AM
Marisa,
The majority of the ground dwelling snakes do not strike with the same power, speed, and accuracy that the large bitis species do...... A gaboons strike is almost 100% dead on, and you cant follow the speed with the naked eye..... I have yet to see a gaboon miss its intended target...... It is really just something you have to see in person to understand....... It is blinding fast and they can do it from about any angle....... And the force from the strike is very impressive...... In neonate gaboons the strike is sometimes alittle too powerful for its own good...... They are very light and sometimes flip around during a strike...... Its pretty funny to watch...... I have worked with lots of snakes, venomous and non venomous and the only snake I have ever seen come close to a gaboons stike is an eastern diamondback......

Matt
03-09-03, 09:27 AM
hmm, very interesting post gregg!!!
i agree man, NOTHING strikes like a bitis :eek:

ETET
03-09-03, 07:19 PM
Gregg you are right, I agree your info is very true! I think they called this "ADAPTATIVE CONSTIPATION"; when gaboons striking/eating, their 1/3 to 1/2 of their body length will be above the ground. Without something for balance, it will be difficulty for such a heavy bodied snake. For my gabbies, they mostly retain the poop for 3-4 weeks and 6-8 weeks maximum. I also think they should have a special body mechanism which keep the poop from decay for a long period of time.

ETET

GECKOMAN
03-09-03, 07:30 PM
that is facinating. i did not no that

Gregg M
03-09-03, 08:23 PM
ETET,
I had a gaboon go 8 weeks without deficating..... That is the longest ever for me...... That was when I first started out keeping gaboons...... I have learned that when properly hydrated, they tend to deficate more frequently...... I have not had a gaboon go more than 3 weeks without deficating in a long time......

ETET
03-09-03, 09:29 PM
Gregg,

Very true, keep them hydrated is important. Now I soak them regularly and inject water in prey items. The neonates I try to train them to drink from dish. Most of them poop within 4 weeks. What methods do you use?

ETET

Gregg M
03-10-03, 12:56 AM
Same as you ETET........ Injecting, misting and long soaks.....

ThEmAdHaTtEr
03-12-03, 02:11 PM
25% of its body weight? WOW thats a ton of crap lol. I agree with Burm, Gaboons are another one of my favorite snakes. I wouldnt dream of getting one though. Do Gaboons move like puff adders too? Don't puff adders move straight because their body doesnt allow them to throw loops like other snakes? (I might be talking jibberish but I saw it on some PBS snake special)

Gregg M
03-14-03, 06:40 PM
They move exactly like Puff adders...... And they can wind and move very quickly if they want to...... They are not as sluggish as you may think...... There are times when they want nothing to do with a hook and do everything in their power to get away from me.....

ThEmAdHaTtEr
03-14-03, 10:54 PM
Freaky, but Gabbys rule!