PDA

View Full Version : Help Ryu get a extra light!

Ryodraco
12-27-20, 09:48 PM
Hi all, I've long kept my bredl's python with just a UVB bulb and light from the room, but I've recently reconsidered how easy it would be to install a LED light strip in the enclosure and make things look much better and brighter.

Thing is, I'm really unsure what to get as far as brand or type of light goes. I'd rather not overpay as it seems like most of the LED lights for reptiles I find are designed to help plant growth, and that's not an issue for me. I just want good, natural-looking lighting that won't get very hot (which makes LEDs ideal). I'd hate to pay a bunch for extra plant-helping features I won't ever use, though if those are the best lights even for this situation then that's what I'll get.

I'd likewise like it to be a brand that includes the equipment to mount the light on the wood ceiling of the enclosure with minimal trouble.

The photo below is an old one but the relevant parts of the enclosure (the ceiling) still looks the same (aside from my now having protective tape on the ends of the UVB fixture). My plan would be to place the LED light to the side of the radiant heat panel facing me, and thus it'd need to be no more than five inches wide.

The dimensions of the enclosure are 5 feet long, 2 feet wide, and a few inches over 2 feet tall. The lighting chosen wouldn't need to be super powerful or even light up the whole enclosure (Ryu the python never seems bothered by lights, but I worry all the same about them being too bright), but I'd like if it could light up most of it at least.

Many thanks for any advice.

chairman
12-29-20, 08:17 PM
I used some 12" led under cabinet light bars in my reptile cages. I used one 12" bar to light a 2x2x15 cage. These are the brand I used:

https://www.amazon.com/Parmida-LED-Linkable-ETL-LISTED-Accessories/dp/B07WDYMV1Z/ref=sr_1_5?crid=4QULCK2VPANC&dchild=1&keywords=120v+led+under+cabinet+lighting&qid=1609293888&sprefix=120v+led+under+%2Caps%2C182&sr=8-5

They've been in use for several months now and I haven't had any issues with them. This includes cages with 50% humidity up to 80%+. I did have to drill holes in my cage to feed the cord through, and I wrapped the cord with electrical tape at the point where the cord enters the cage to seal the gap.

Ryodraco
01-07-21, 05:55 PM
I ended up getting this set of three LED light bars and I love how they illuminate the enclosure.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y46JKL6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

However, now I am worried how to tell if they are too bright (I got ones that are close to daylight so that they can illuminate him in a closer to natural way). Certainly they bother my eyes if I look up directly at them for more than a few seconds, but I can't tell if Ryu is bothered or if it is easy for him to avoid looking at them.

His behavior hasn't changed. He spent a few days in his hide after they were installed (probably because me messing around in their sticking them to the sealing annoyed him) and then he came out and has stayed out for a few days since. He's going into blue though so he may not notice the lights as much anyway.

If they are too bright then options are to dim them or remove some of the bars (all three are on one side of the enclosure's ceiling right now).