PDA

View Full Version : New Enclosure Question (newbie)

SaintLuke
02-27-20, 05:08 PM
Hi Everyone,

We’re making a vivarium (wood frame)for a false water cobra and have a few questions since this is our first adventure with an enclosure.

We plan to have the necessary areas included (2 ponds that can be drained, two hiding areas one warm and the other cool) the size is 3x3x6 and will have a grated metal top and glass door on the front.

My question concerns how the interior of the vivarium is waterproofed. We plan to add Styrofoam glued directly to the wood, sculpt that and then add a few thin layers of concrete over the sculpted foam. Will that act as a suitable barrier to the wood or should we coat the wood prior to adding the Styrofoam?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

dangernoodles
02-28-20, 04:36 PM
That is looking awesome so far! Concrete is not water proof, it will typically keep out water but vapor can penetrate it. I do not know about how high the humidity should be in a false water cobra enclosure, but since you are not constructing a bridge or building or anything, I would not worry too much. There is the option of hydrophobic concrete, not really sure how that works though. Bottom line- yes,your plan should work fine. The more layers the better though. The water will not likely penetrate the concrete.

chairman
02-28-20, 10:50 PM
I would seal the wood before putting the foam on it. Drylok would work well. A couple coats of polyurethane would work too.

The enclosure is looking good so far.

SaintLuke
02-29-20, 08:16 PM
Thanks both of you for the advice, between the Drylok a layer of 1 inch foam for the rock effects and the concrete we ought to be good. I appreciate both of you taking the time Thanks very much!

SaintLuke
03-01-20, 11:57 AM
Thank you both very much for the suggestions, I think we'll put a couple good coats of Drylok over the wood, cover that with the styrofoam and then 2-3 coats of cement. That sounds like a good barrier.

I appreciate you taking the time to offer some suggestions, we want this to be a success and create a healthy environment for the snake!

SaintLuke
03-20-20, 06:13 PM
Thanks again for the help. We sealed all the seams with waterproof silicone (heavy beads) then put 4 coats of Drylock plus an extra coat on the base. I think we're in good shape. Now for some artistic styrofoam work and cement. Thanks again for the help!

dangernoodles
03-20-20, 06:28 PM
Oo, can't wait to see how it turns out in the end.