PDA

View Full Version : Help with baby water monitor

Fabertism
07-30-18, 09:41 PM
Hello,
After months of research and preparation, I got a baby water monitor. Of course I know the animal was imported, but I don't feel it is healthy. I have it in an enclosure with a basking spot of 120-140 degrees and the other side is 80. The humidity ranges from 75 to 90 percent. I'm using wet coco coir/sand mixed, and the animal has a water pool. So far she is listless and hides most of the time. She did soak for a few hours yesterday, but today she acts funny. Is there anything I can do to save it? I have no problem seeing a vet, but I hate to stress her out anymore than shipping and settling into a new home already has. Advice is appreciated.

Scubadiver59
07-31-18, 10:54 AM
Where did you get your info about a 120-140F basking spot??? Water Monitors should be maintained between 85-90 degrees with a basking spot of 95 degrees. Lower that temp before you fry your lizard!

Andy_G
07-31-18, 12:48 PM
Where did you get your info about a 120-140F basking spot??? Water Monitors should be maintained between 85-90 degrees with a basking spot of 95 degrees. Lower that temp before you fry your lizard!

It's not incorrect. If you look around enough, you'll likely find information suggesting basking spots to be anywhere from 95-150 depending on the source you're looking at, and the ideal internal temperature for digestion is around 105, and it would be best to not have them bask excessively to reach this temp. All second hand information from friends that keep the species that used to try to talk me into keeping them...not first hand experience though, nor from a google search, so take from that what you like. Heat, or lack of heat in some instances, is a somewhat controversial topic when it comes to monitors. Not as polarized as you may think. With ranges that you specified, they may reach that temp if basking for a long time on a rock, but it would take a while. It's also worth noting that low basking temps are directly linked to renal problems in varanids.

Fabertism, how long have you had it for? Is it eating and passing waste? Sometimes, even though a vet trip would be stressful, it may be necessary.

Scubadiver59
07-31-18, 02:30 PM
I stand corrected and thoroughly chastised.... :hmm:

It's not incorrect. If you look around enough, you'll likely find information suggesting basking spots to be anywhere from 95-150 depending on the source you're looking at, and the ideal internal temperature for digestion is around 105, and it would be best to not have them bask excessively to reach this temp. All second hand information from friends that keep the species that used to try to talk me into keeping them...not first hand experience though, nor from a google search, so take from that what you like. Heat, or lack of heat in some instances, is a somewhat controversial topic when it comes to monitors. Not as polarized as you may think. With ranges that you specified, they may reach that temp if basking for a long time on a rock, but it would take a while. It's also worth noting that low basking temps are directly linked to renal problems in varanids.

Fabertism, how long have you had it for? Is it eating and passing waste? Sometimes, even though a vet trip would be stressful, it may be necessary.

Andy_G
07-31-18, 02:40 PM
I stand corrected and thoroughly chastised.... :hmm:

No chastising intended. ;)

erantheking21
08-06-18, 01:30 AM
the temp Is very high my friend
it should be like 26-30 celicus