PDA

View Full Version : Another responsible Burm keeper

BWSmith
03-03-03, 11:22 AM
I just got an email today.

Hi, my name's Mike, I work for one of the Cable companies here in Georgia. Last September, another worker found an Albino Burmese Python under the house he was working at. After talking to the customer we found out that the man had released the snake because he was "too much to handle," and the snake had been loose for around three months.

Better this snake go into rescue than loose in the ecosystem. But it is just another example of people getting cute little baby burms having no idea what they are in for. It looks like I will be travelling about 4 hours to either rescue this guy or treat it for an RI (no suprise there) and treat it for parasites and try to give the current rescuer some guidance if he is going to undertake this snake. I don't see this type of thing nearly as often with other species. makes me want to throttle the next person I run into who says they are breeding burms and run over the next pet shop owner who recommends one. Luckily, I still have about 250 sq feet of unused herp room so i have the room for it if need be. But there are not that many people willing to rescue adult burms and space in these fine homes is running out. People need to learn what they are getting into. We need to squasht he rumor that a snake will only grow to the size of its cage. And for the love of God, these snakes are NOT for the average person or average herper! I see enough irresponsible herpers in hots and if I knew this guys name that turned it loose i would register a complaint on him for eco-terrorism! Not even counting the normal dmage to the environment a burm can do, it could bring in a disease intot he area that could wipe out avery snake for miles. You never know. Why do people feel the need to get such huge snakes? Is it a status symbol? I heard one guy talking about he got a retic because his buddies had pits and he wanted the "bigger, badder pet"!!!!! I treat burms, retics and rocks like i treat venomous. Discourage people to get them. Tell all the bad things first. Tell them everything that can go wrong, how dangerous it is, and how much it is going to cost. Then if they are serious and want one for "the right reasons" (term used loosely with no real definition), then they will get one and they will be a little more prepared.

OK, i'm done ranting. i am just sick of seeing burms in constant need of rescue.

BurmBaroness
03-03-03, 11:29 AM
Amen, my point exactly. I couldn't have said it better, or been as nice as you......lol

Xetox
03-03-03, 11:34 AM
Yea...Its a sad thing, but I dont think we can do much about it! People like the idea of having a large snake until they end up with a very large snake!

ReptiZone
03-03-03, 11:45 AM
well that is one darn good rant man and I agree totaly I would like to breed burms just so I can add it to the list of species of snakes I have breed but I wount cause the more reserch I do the more I realise the animals well bieng is not worth the risk

BWSmith
03-03-03, 12:06 PM
Good for you Chondro. ;)

ReptiZone
03-03-03, 12:33 PM
this is off topic from this thread but what do you think about using gloves with snakes BwSmith

BWSmith
03-03-03, 12:42 PM
Gotta narrow down that question a little. Gloves for venomous, goves to protect from bites, latex gloves for handling or cleaning cages?

ReptiZone
03-03-03, 12:53 PM
gloves to protect from a bite from a harmles baby burm

Xetox
03-03-03, 12:53 PM
http://www.proexotics.com/FAQ_answers_Using_a_Glove.html

I posted this in another thread but this a great article from proexotics about gloves!

ReptiZone
03-03-03, 12:54 PM
read the thread in giant pythons my baby burm prob you will see what I mean

BWSmith
03-03-03, 12:55 PM
No offense, but if you are afraid of taking a bite from a baby burm, what are you going to do when it gets older and MUCH larger?

Xetox
03-03-03, 12:59 PM
I don't use gloves, but was just posting a good article about it...I don't see anything wrong with using them, like the articel says use them for the initial contact, one the snake know that you are not food or going to harm it, take the gloves off and allow it to get used to you and your smell.....

I thought it was a good article and for those who are new to the hobbie and still a little timid dont be afraid to slap on a pair of leather and go for iT!

Lisa
03-04-03, 09:05 PM
We use gloves on our blood python and viper boa's to get them out of the cage. keeps them from freaking out.

BWSmith
03-04-03, 09:28 PM
I think the focus of this thread has been lost.

LdyDrgn
03-04-03, 09:30 PM
It did go a bit off-topic, didn't it...?

snake_lover
03-04-03, 09:52 PM
yes it did ,,Bw,ldydrgn .You guys know where i live and that we catch lots of boas that are set loose because they get 2 big etc etc . And aruba , they are killing the snakes because one stupid guy let them free look at aruba now ,the population from the birds iggy's and the owl's are getting eaten and the snakes get killed every day !
I'll say if you get snake and YOU know it will get big i'd say don't keep a large snake !i know a lot of ppl that sell theire snake cause they get 2 big. I find it BS you know the snake would get big why get one?!

And about gloves, I don't use any gloves with my snakes !if you are scared of getting bit by a lil snake ok use gloves ,Why ware gloves when you hold your snakes they will bite you in your face when you handle them lol,

marisa
03-05-03, 07:58 AM
Its just sad.

Its Burms, retics (although I hear of them less frequently than burms) Green Iguanas, and definitly red eared sliders.

All these animals are constantly mistreated, thrown away, set free, etc.

All these animals are also some of the hardest to care for in the herp world. Its really unfortunate that the ones that take long hours, hard work, and lots of cleaning, dont' get appreciated at all. People don't realize what the rescues are doing. Can you even IMAGINE taking care of 15 green iguanas? Or 20 Burmese Pythons that were dumped on your door. Its so sad.

I love all these species, amd I keep both Green Iguanas and Red Eared Slider..and BWSmith it is SUPER that you are helping...if more people would stop b*tching about burmese, iguanas and such and actually TAKE ACTION and go adopt one, things might start looking up.

Instead of buying that brand new reptile maybe more of us should start looking at places like
http://www.reptilerescue.on.ca and adopting these creatures that have been dumped.

At least that's a start.
Marisa

Phantom
03-05-03, 08:47 AM
Thanks for the link, I didn't know about that web site!

Phantom

Xetox
03-05-03, 10:02 AM
Here is a list of rescues in united states and other countrys, breaks them down into states and all that jaz!

http://www.icomm.ca/dragon/represcue.htm

Hamster of Borg
03-06-03, 01:32 PM
Sad... but I see it all the time here. I just don't get it... what makes people think that this is Burma and that their snake can survive in the wild here? I'm surprised the cable company didn't have the police press charges. I would have.

On the other topic... with all my burms, I do 'glove training'. First thing I do when I open the cage is tap them on the nose with a glove that I always use as a 'no food here' signal. It has worked pretty well for me, but I've never used one to avoid losing blood should I get bitten. :)

Ham