PDA

View Full Version : Theory on shed aid, do you think it would help?

Pixie
03-03-03, 09:03 AM
Of all my snakes, my ball pythons always have bad sheds or explosions with some retained skin. I have humid hide, give them baths during the 3 days prior to actual shed and still, my balls never shed properly so it got me thinking.

I use body lotion to easy my dry skin and keep it moisturized. Could something along those lines be used for a snake??? I would think that finding natural moidturizing ingredients (like glycerine) or a very natural moisturizer without perfumes or dyes and that all the ingredients are contained are safe.

Let's say I mix a solution of 1 or 2 teaspoons of the moisturizer in a bottle of water and spay my snake during shed phase. Do you think it would help?

I would think that having a light watered down version would prevent the skin being congested and still breathe properly. Wouldn't be too hard on the snake and safe to spray the head region. And most of all, would help keep the skin moisturized for an upcomming shed.

I am not planning to test this theory anytime soon but am very interested in getting your opinion.

Pixie

Edwin
03-03-03, 06:29 PM
Pixie,

I bought a bottle of Shed-Aid by Tetra, and it is not worth the 99 cents I paid for it. I picked it up at either a Petsmart or Superpet clearance sale.

I have my reservations about human moisturizers, even in diluted form as they may contain something detrimental to herps.

Besides just soaking, you could maybe put in a rough stone to help the snake shed easier.

Just my 2 cents.

Dom
03-04-03, 02:46 AM
Baby oil works as great lol although I have never had to use it.. a simpl bath alwasy does the trick for me..

Pixie
03-04-03, 08:49 AM
The reason I'm not thinking of oils is because I've heard they can "congest" the skin where it doesn't breathe anymore and that that could cause some health issues.

I'm thinking more of lighter moisturizer ingredients. I would of course try to search out all natural and safe ingredients for snakes, I wouldn't use a commercially prepared product like something you'd find in a pharmacy. In any case, I plan on asking a reptile vet about this soon.

Any other opinions a very much welcome :)

Pixie

marisa
03-04-03, 08:55 AM
Pixie----

While I have not had your problem with snakes, my iguana sometimes has a difficult time getting the shed of her spikes...and since I didn't want to put ANYTHING unnatural on her I started using Aloe Vera.

I have been using pure Aloe Vera right off the plant for over two years now. Its natural, safe and works.

Maybe you could use a bit of this? Even diluted. ?

marisa

Xetox
03-04-03, 09:38 AM
I would not use no oils! nothign that could conjest there skin!

I have the same problem with one of my BP she always has a issue with her face.....I soak and do all the normal things, but at least 1 out of 3 sheds she has issues getting her face shed off!

For the most part I try to help as much as I could, after that just waited till next shed and it seemed to come off fine!

Pixie
03-04-03, 12:53 PM
My male BP just shed a couple of days ago and again as I suspected it was a bad shed. Basically he had just managed to get the skin off this head and the first inch or so of his neck, the rest was all stuck to his body with a couple of peices lifting off here and there. Prior to his actual shed, I had raised the humidity level in his hide a week before keeping it very moist and the 3 days before his shed I gave him 30-45 min. lukewarm baths. He spent all of the last 2 days before his shed in his humid hide so I really don't know how much more I can do humiditiy wise.

To get his restrained skin off, I made a pillow case out of a big old towel, soaked it and put him in for over an hour. When I took him out, I barely was able to get some skin off. So, in the tub he went for a bath and I finally was able to get it all off after that.

This is why I am trying to look for other alternatives to help my BP's shed better, my female has had bad sheds for the past 5-6 months in the same conditions.

Marisa: That's exactly along the lines of what I was thinking of, sounds like a great idea, I'll definitely look it up!

I absolutely would never want to use something that could potentially harm my snakes. Just want to help them have better sheds.

Pixie

chas*e
03-05-03, 03:51 PM
Bath prior to shed, rocks, and I find that plastic leaves gives the snakes (usually BPs) a hand...claw...foot

Linds
03-05-03, 07:15 PM
They shed fine without lotion in the wild, their environment and physical health needs to be carefully assessed if they are having repeated shedding problems. Bad sheds are not "normal". Ambient humidity levels in the tank are very important, as well as hydration. I routinely give my snakes a dose of unflavoured pedialyte (as well as my rodents) every few months for good measure. It doesn't matter if they are in a swamp, if they don't have enough lubrication beneath their skin, they will have trouble. If these needs aren't met prior to the cycle beginning, misting and soaking 2 days prior won't be that effective IMHO. Take care.

Xetox
03-05-03, 07:36 PM
I have one of my bp in a 55 gal tank, plenty of room! Right before them a nile monitor was using the tank...and I had a glass piece cut to make a portion of the tank a pool for him, and never got around to it before I made him a new home. So I was just wandering what you all thought about making a small pool for a bp how shallow should I keep it. is there a fear of drowing in someting 4#deap?

Linds
03-07-03, 02:35 PM
Xetox,
Wrong thread. This is about Pixie's shed aid idea ;) Go check the one you started on this topic in the BP forum ;)

Pixie
03-07-03, 03:03 PM
Linds: I've checked my temps and ambient humidity and there doesn't seem to be a problem there. My temps are on the warm side 84-88 and cool side 76-80, ambient humidity is 50-60%.

I can't believe that all the snakes in the wild have perfect sheds! Of course they don't have lotion or keepers to give them soaks and other things of the sort, although the idea of a snake moisturizing itself somewhere in Africa is a pretty funny thought!

Could it be that certain specimens just have drier skin? Just like snakes have different metabolism and digestion rates, I would assume it's logical that there are variations in skin conditions too.

My male bp has worse sheds than my female, I really have to give him a hand. My female on the other hand has "explosive" sheds but she manages to get it pretty much all off herself.

I'm just trying to find a safe way to help my male bp shed better. Although it was nice helping him get his old skin off last time (he caught on to what I was doing and was helping!) and he's such a sweetie pie. I would like for him to be able to do it himself.

Pixie