PDA

View Full Version : Can we rename this forum to Field Herping?

Jeff Hathaway
03-02-03, 01:58 PM
This appears to be the only forum covering any aspects of field herping.

To broaden the scope a bit, and given the general feelings against actual collecting (not to mention that this forum is based in Canada, where collecting is for the most part quite restricted), I propose that we change the name to the "Field Herping Forum".

Any thoughts???

Jeff Hathaway
Sciensational Ssnakes!!

ReptileHQ
03-02-03, 02:26 PM
I second Jeff's proposal...and let me add that Jeff is one of the biggest assets to date to have found this site...everyone is lucky to have his wealth of knowledge on board....

Chris

Jeff Hathaway
03-02-03, 06:19 PM
Thanks for the compliment, Chris! I'll try to live up to it, but I probably won't have a lot of time to spend here...

Jeff Hathaway
Sciensational Sssnakes!!

Matt
03-02-03, 07:54 PM
i agree...I think that change would be appropriate!

PaulBar
03-02-03, 07:58 PM
I agree with Jeff. "Field Collecting" implies you will "collect" the snake and remove it from the wild. I think that the title's "Field Herping" Or "Field Studies" are more appropriate.

Thanks for your reply to my post. You seem to have the best list so far and the most experience with wild Ontario snakes.

Thanks for the correction about the name of the Green Snake being correctly called the "Smooth Green Snake" rather than a Green Grass Snake.

Is it true that the Eastern Hog Nose and Smooth Green Snake are becoming somewhat rare to find these days?

Paul

Jeff Hathaway
03-02-03, 08:36 PM
Paul,

Like many of Ontario's snakes, populations of both the eastern hognose and smooth green have declined in many areas.

Where they are found, hognoses appear, from recent studies, to occur at much lower population densities than other similarly sized snakes. We don't know why this is. There are two main areas to find hognoses- one covering a triangle roughly bounded by Rondeau PP, Long Point PP, and Pinery PP. The other would be from Georgian Bay eastwards across the Canadian shield to north of Napanee. The closer to Georgian Bay, the farther north you can find them, presumably due to the microclimate effect of the bay. There are a couple of disjunct populations remaining as well, though their status is not well known at this point.

Smooth greens, on the other hand, can be relatively abundant, though very difficult to find, in some areas. They appear to be virtually absent from the GTA and surrounding areas at this point, though. Could this be partially due to pesticide use, given that smooth green are insectivores? That is one of my theories.

Jeff Hathaway
Sciensational Sssnakes!!

Swampwalker
03-03-03, 03:19 PM
I agree 100% with you Jeff about the name change idea. I actually made the same suggestion back in April of 2002, but nothing happened. It's good to see you here Jeff, hows the new place coming along?

Stewart

Jeff Hathaway
03-03-03, 05:42 PM
Hey Stewart,

Now I know who 'swampwalker' is...

The new place is coming along slowly. Check out www.scisnake.com/scales/scales.htm to see a few pics including the new roof.

Jeff Hathaway
Sciensational Sssnakes!!

Xetox
03-03-03, 08:33 PM
Very nice place!!!! I am envy!

GECKOMAN
03-09-03, 07:42 PM
i agree the name should be changed

Christina
03-16-03, 11:05 AM
Right on Jeff!
You are right. Field collecting is a big no no here and we would hate to think it makes people think it is an "OK" thing to do because it is not.
Espescially from the preserving our enviroment and its species aspect of it.
The only thing to take is a Picture!
Well and possibly a nip or two if you run into a fiesty Milk snake :)
Take care from me Christina

Wu-Gwei
03-20-03, 06:09 PM
So why isn't it changed yet???

Tim and Julie B
04-07-03, 01:59 AM
Yup, gotta change the name, and soon since it's almost "field herpin" time.LOL and great idea!

Burmies
04-07-03, 08:56 PM
Why would you like to change the name?

Burmies

Swampwalker
04-08-03, 07:39 AM
It has now been changed. It used to be the Field Collecting Forum, which implies taking the animals out of the wild which is illegal in most parts of Canada and probably many parts of the U.S.