PDA

View Full Version : Does a Columbian Red Tail Boa need UV Light?

lonewolf1253
11-10-17, 02:08 PM
I have a Columbian Red Tail Boa that is 10 months old and I'm wondering if it has to have UVA or UVB light or are heat emitters and pads good enough. I know that these snakes are mainly nocturnal and probably wouldn't get much sunlight in the jungles where they're found. I have all the proper thermostats and keep him at the right temps and humidity and he seems very healthy and eats well. No shedding problems. The only info I see that says they must have UV light are from the makers of those lights. So I'm wondering if it is really necessary for his health or is it optional?

dannybgoode
11-10-17, 02:57 PM
There's been a few lengthy discussions about snakes and UV recently.

In summary very few snakes *need* UV. That is they won't die without it.

There is however a large number of research papers that show it is very beneficial to them.

My boss Boa imperator was the first snake I provided UV for and the change in her behaviour was very noticeable - she went from spending most of the day hiding to spending a fair few hours a day basking under the UV lamp.

Note that a good many nocturnal animals do not necessarily spend the day hidden away in complete darkness - they sleep in the open and semi-open a good deal of the time.

DJC Reptiles
11-10-17, 04:36 PM
Your snake does not need UVB, they will live perfectly happy and healthy lives without it. However, if you choose to provide it it can intensify color and increase mood. Again, not necessary, but if you chose to provide it, it will not hurt your snake and could help their behavior.

Andy_G
11-11-17, 12:44 PM
No it does not.