PDA

View Full Version : Need new substrate - Aspen makes her "sneeze"

JRLongton
09-27-17, 12:49 PM
Hi all!

So my female corn has been on aspen shavings since I got her back in May. The problem is that the aspen is dusty and makes her "sneeze". She started this "sneezing" on day seven (possibly on day one, I don't know 'cause I left her alone for the first week). Just to head off suggestions of an RI, I know its the aspen cause she'll "sneeze" a couple times for the first few of minutes of handling then stop. When I place her back in her home, she'll start again, but only if she is moving. When she's still, no "sneezing".

Otherwise, I love the aspen. It looks nice, is easy to clean, and Cirice (the corn) likes to burrow all through it. I've tried two brands of aspen, the cheap stuff at Walmart and another one I got at the pet store (forgot the brand but here was a picture of a milk/king snake on the bag). Both were very dusty.

I've never tried a different substrate, so any suggestions? I'd really like something that she can burrow through, she never seems to climb but is always burrowing and it's really cool how many little tunnels she has made. I'd like her to keep it up.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Scubadiver59
09-27-17, 01:15 PM
I like using a mix between Forest Floor (cypress) and Eco Earth (coco husk). My Kings, Garters, Pine, and Hognose love it.

And no sneezing. Unless you keep Aspen rather moist, and it is more prone to fungus growth than cypress, you get a lot of dust.

JRLongton
09-27-17, 01:31 PM
Sounds good.

What is it a 50/50 mix?

Can they burrow through it easily?

Scubadiver59
09-27-17, 01:56 PM
No, more like a 70:30 (more cypress), but you can adjust accordingly.

Sounds good.

What is it a 50/50 mix?

Can they burrow through it easily?