PDA

View Full Version : good or bad???

snake_girl
05-16-02, 09:29 PM
Not sure how to describe this but here goes.

The guy that was suppose to build my in closer for me got hurt, so I have a new guy and he pitched this idea to me an I’m not sure about it. It’s an Idea for a common red tail boa tank.

He said it would be easier if I take a door, and build an in closer around the door that way it will fit in my house, and will be easier to clean, and I’m not sure if I like that idea, what do you guys think…. Good? Bad?

Should I just stick to a simple wooden in closer???

Thanks a bunch
Grace :w

Grant vg
05-16-02, 10:49 PM
What do u mean.....build an enclosure using an actual door?????
Or using the measurements of a doorway to figure out measurments for an enclosure.....
BTW ur post sounds.....it sounds like he wants to use the door.....sounds kinda unneccessary....and doors are heavy....also,...u cant see through most doors.....try to explain it better.......

snake_girl
05-17-02, 07:58 AM
yep he means around a door, so that the side of the incloser will be a Door! so that if I need to get in I'd go threw the door.

here is what he said: there would be a veiwing area like a big glass window and then the other sides would be the door and wood. I hope that helps.

I thought it sounded silly :) the door he wants to use is pretty light, so weight isn't a concer its the fact that I'd be using a door :eek:

thanks

Grace

jason h
05-17-02, 10:20 AM
how long and tall deep is it to be ? it sounds like he wants to build a walk-in but the part that confuses me is you said so you can get it in the house there fore it would have to be smaller than a door to fit in?:confused:

Richard Welter
05-20-02, 11:43 PM
This is what I would and have done. I would build a 6x3x3 wood box cage and have a door with metal mesh, followed by a piano hing. and three L locks on it. The best part of this cage is you need it to have high humidity so what I did was put arboright (spelling) in the whole cage and put it on every part of wood. This makes it so the wood does not break down. Then use cocking and seal the whole tank. Looks very nice and is good for you snake. Like the cage on the right but about fours times the size and have to door on top. (hedgehog cgae for me) I hope I help Richard Welter

marisa
05-21-02, 12:44 AM
I think that sounds silly, personally. No offense.

If the enclosure is the same size as your door, using a door, it won't fit in your house at all. Unless it's SMALLER than your door.

Or in pieces.

And using a door just sounds was too weird when so many other much lighter, more economical materials are available. Doors are heavy, even cheap doors. It just doesn't seem logical to me.

I'd turn down the idea. Everyone who replied has good thoughts, just pick something else. I would definitly.

marisa

P.S. I can see using a door in a LARGE cage, but something lighter like a homemade door/ screen door, plexi glass door- etc. I just can't see a actually Front house door being convienent.

snake_girl
05-21-02, 08:57 AM
Thanks for all your help guys!!!

heres a little more info, I talked to the guy and asked him if he would show me what he means because he said he's done it before, so I went over to his house and saw the Incloser. This thing was pretty long about 6ft and the door was like the ones you see in a shed(you know the wooden shed doors)

its looked to me to be about 6ft long 5ft high and 3ft wide.(not sure it thats right)

on the side was the door it was three feet and then, the back was wood, and the other side was wood also. the front was a frame of wood and then a window(plate of glass)

the weight of it is heavy its like a small room but he got some extra streagth wheels for the hosptial:) and even I can push it.

It looks really nice and he has a 8ft Boa in there that couldn't be more happy. but I told him I still wasn't sure.

we'd beable to get it in my apt if we turned it side ways, but this thing is big! does any of my discription draw a picture for you because I don't have one:rolleyes:

Grant vg
05-21-02, 10:02 AM
Why dont u just get him to build u one like the ones i built in the pictures below in a previous thread....they're extremely easy to build and and stackable.....
The glass looks much better then a door or somethin....plus 6x5x3 is way to big then neccessary.....6x2x2 is good enough for any size boa u could even make the depth 3 feet if u wanted....but i see no need to make something around a door....

Wouldn't u agree that u would like opening an enclosure by sliding glass???

Personnally, i think there are many better ways to go about building an enclosure then what this guy has proposed....just my 2 cents...

snake_girl
05-21-02, 10:36 AM
your right! I had the idea you just said ready to go with the other guy, I'm just going to tell him to forget the door thing and just make one with sliding glass

Thanks
Grace

Linds
05-21-02, 03:45 PM
IMO wire mesh on a snake cage isnt a great idea. Often a snake in that type of enclosure will end up with nose rub :(

I agree with Grant, go with his cage design. It simple, attractive, and functional :)

marisa
05-21-02, 10:40 PM
Linds. I don't think wire is a good choice for snakes.

marisa