PDA

View Full Version : corn snake size

akane
12-13-16, 01:00 AM
I am seeing sizes all over the place. They are all the same species? What makes the difference then? The individual line of breeding and/or where the locality started? The morphs (looking at a charcoal)? Feeding? What can I actually expect? I would prefer something on the bigger end. I was going to get a black rat snake but it fell through and someone got in over their head with too many snakes so if it lines up they are dropping off a corn snake (or 2) on their way by.

dave himself
12-13-16, 02:07 AM
Feeding and genetics play a part in size. I'm not sure that anyone who breeds corns is interested in breeding them to get them bigger, it's more for the morphs like BPs if you know what I mean :). As for size I think it's just the luck of the draw I'm afraid

akane
12-13-16, 04:14 AM
I have no interest in ball pythons or most any exotic morph so I have never really looked at them. I mostly stick to wild color natives except I couldn't resist a black blood python instead of red since I like the dark colors. I care more about temperament, shape, and size. I have a kankakee bullsnake planned for fall because they are some of the darkest and I might get a breeding pair of cb fox snakes from the person I got my current bull. Brown water snakes, maybe a banded.... Certain locality specific rosy boas so the color is not a cb morph but the color wc from that area. I do have a soft spot for anery morphs that bring out blue but haven't seen anything I actually want. I might just get a naturally blue snake like a blue racer.

dave himself
12-13-16, 04:32 AM
There was so many questions in your first post I got confused lol, it looked like you were asking if someone was breeding them for size sorry my mistake :)

akane
12-13-16, 05:27 AM
I was asking if specific lines just ended up bigger than others or if it was too random to tell?

dave himself
12-13-16, 05:36 AM
If it's any help the biggest corn I've ever saw was an amel female which was well over 5ft, I've no idea of her breeding so she could have been crossed with something else but she was a monster of a corn

Andy_G
12-13-16, 08:42 AM
3 to 6 feet. Average around 3.5 to 4 feet. Anything over 5 feet is very seldom seen. Lineage/locality and genetics play a huge role. Okeetees (pure okeetees...not necessarily the morphs they've been mixed with) tend to be a bit thicker bodied. There's a lot of mixing not only with localities, but also other subspecies which are then pushed as pure so your question is hard to answer any more specifically than that.

Bandit
12-13-16, 08:50 AM
I think your best bet would be to get some info on the parents if possible to see how big they were. Most of the corns I've seen were around the 4-4.5' mark. We had this one blood red corn that was nearing 6' though. That's the only one I've ever seen that size.

SWDK
12-13-16, 10:48 AM
Like everyone else said, corns are bred for color morph rather than size. Hard to say one morph grows larger than the other. They average in the 4-5 foot range with some growing larger, but that's just genetics at that point.

akane
12-13-16, 01:18 PM
Person has no info on the parents. They just seem to have acquired whatever they fancied without research and then found themselves with a bunch of snakes they can't take care of and they are in college. So I am taking mystery corn snakes if she convinces her mom to stop on an exit nearby so we can pick them up.

Bandit
12-13-16, 06:44 PM
I'd just expect it to be in the 4'-4.5' range as an adult. It may get bigger than that, but there's no way to know until it happens.

Tsubaki
12-14-16, 03:07 AM
I have no interest in ball pythons or most any exotic morph so I have never really looked at them. I mostly stick to wild color natives except I couldn't resist a black blood python instead of red since I like the dark colors.

Your questions seems answered, just wanted to reply to this.. A black 'blood' python is not a morph, Blood python is just a (slightly misused) common name for the Python Curtus Species/Subspecies. The proper common name for the entire species would be short-tailed python, only the Brongersmai subspecies should be called bloodpython. So people don't get confused.
'Red Blood python' (Python Curtus Brongersmai), Proper common name: Bloodpython.
'Black Blood python' (Python Curtus Curtus), Proper common name: Sumatran Short-Tailed python.
'Borneo Blood python' (Python Curtus Breitensteini)- Proper common name: Borneo Short-Tailed Python
So in short, a black blood is a wild colour.

akane
12-14-16, 04:13 AM
I wondered about that because I saw the sumatran pythons in other listings.