PDA

View Full Version : Asian Mangrove, where in Cad?

BoidKeeper
02-26-03, 10:16 AM
Where can a guy get a pair of Asian Mangorves here in Canada? Would they make an ok first hot? If not what would?
Thanks,
Trevor

Vanan
02-26-03, 04:18 PM
Would they make an ok first hot?

That's sure to get you some good responses.
I myself am planning on getting a mangrove and treating it with the utmost respect, i.e. the hands off rule. Treat it like a hot and think it's hot enough. You have to have the same mindset that it can kill, as you would with a rattler or cobra. Otherwise, it's not useful to use a mangrove as a starter ven.
Another suggestion would be to practise hooking and building good secure caging for it. Other than those two benefits, like I mentioned earlier, if you don't treat it like a hot, I wouldn't recommend it.

Pls note that I have NO experience with hots and this is purely my opinion. DO NOT listen to me only. There are plenty of experts who can give good advice. I merely had to post in the hope that someone may correct my thoughts if they're wrong. Or commend them if they're ok. Keeping ven's is a big debate and it's always good to throw opinions around and learn.

Matt
02-26-03, 05:08 PM
trevor,
in my opinion, mangroves are a good species to start with. They do have somewhat milder venom, but they are crazy man. They will strike all the time, so be careful.
Even though they are rear fanged, please dont underestimate them.

A friend of mine got bit by a mangrove, but the fangs didnt get him....BUT the snake took a little step up with his jaws and kindly inserted the fangs into his hand.
his symptoms were a massive headache follwed my swelling and bleeding for a number of hours....other than that he was ok!

So...and this is just my own opinion. People underestimate rear fanged way too much, treat them with respect and know, they could be dangerous....with that said... i think They are a fairly good choice for a first, at least they will keep you on your toes :)

BoidKeeper
02-26-03, 06:54 PM
I should have mentioned that I only inquiring out of curiosity more then anything else. I have no desire for a hot or a giant. I'm more or less asking for a buddy who absolutely loves them. He is ready for them, me, not so much. I think they are amazing looking but I hate getting tagged by my Brazilian:rolleyes: So can they be acquired captive bred in Canada?
Thanks guys,
Trevor

Vanan
02-28-03, 02:06 PM
oops sorry if I misunderstood you Trevor.
CB mangroves aren't that common to begin with and I've never heard of any up here in Canada. I'm on my lookout and will let ya know if I do find some.

Mustangrde1
03-01-03, 08:11 PM
If your looking for mangroves try keeping an eye out on some of the Importers webpages they do import them fairly regulary. they are not a very expensive animal.im not sure on the legalities of shipping them in to Canada. Another place if your close enough to make the drive to Hamburg PA you can probably find someone at that show with them.You might also try contacting Cobraman he might be able to help you get mangroves.

anygiven60
03-02-03, 03:56 PM
Not all mangroves are "crazy".. I've had my female well over a year and shes a good 4 feet or so, and in that time she has only given me a threat display one time.. and has struke at me one time...I reach in and can remove her from her cage with no problems when I need to clean the cage...WC mangroves are the ones you want to stay away from... most are inclined to die rather than eat and most of them have a rather nasty way about them... then again i've handled WC adults with no problems....most people who give advice on mangroves know nothing about them nor have ever seen one let alone acutally KEPT one... most info you'll get is pumped full of drama...

Gregg M
03-02-03, 08:01 PM
How can you say most people dont know what they are talking about??? Why should anyone listen to you more than anyone else...... Are you an expert??? or are just a keeper...... Alot of people here have alot of knowledge on certain species....... But everyone has different experiences with the same species...... So you have gotten lucky and have a mangrove that is not inclined to bite you...... But there are people here that had only mangroves that tried to bite....... Everyone has a different story because all animals are individuals.......

Mustangrde1
03-03-03, 05:17 PM
How rude to make those kind of statements reguarding what people know.When the fact from what i have seen on this site Most people do know what they are talking about and when they dont they will be first to admit it. I believe that was a very rude comment to all the members who so willingly share info on all reptiles on this site. I have learned many things myself from people on this site and reading what they have learned from personal experiance. Now as to Mangroves, each animal is diffrent and where one may be docile the next might be a nutcase. thats a chance you take with any living critter. But as a rule Mangroves are highly aggressive. AND I DO KNOW WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT.

anygiven60
03-03-03, 08:10 PM
Rude? not really, I can be rude if you wish... The fact remains, mangroves are not all that aggressive... there are some that are just pure terrors, the fact is true with all snakes, no matter what they are...Of the 30+ mangroves I've seen and delt with, only 5 or so of those 30 have been just filled with pure crazyness...most you can handle just fine and have little to no problems with... Hell I have more problems with ratsnakes wanting to eat my face than with mangroves wanting to bite.... If you dont like my comments, oh well!