PDA

View Full Version : Finally-meet Daphne-Candoia paulsoni

dannybgoode
11-06-16, 11:08 AM
After what seems an eternity she's finally here. Very very beautiful-the eyes in particular are to die for.

Smallest snake by a long way and they grow very slow-even by Boa standards.

A few photos for now and she's just settling in so more in due course.

http://www.dannybower.co.uk/photos/cp1.jpg

http://www.dannybower.co.uk/photos/cp2.jpg

http://www.dannybower.co.uk/photos/cp3.jpg

david26
11-06-16, 11:11 AM
Wow that is a very unique animal super cool

Andy_G
11-06-16, 11:51 AM
Very cool, Danny. You'll love having a paulsoni around. :)

Minkness
11-06-16, 12:08 PM
Are those also known as Solomon ground boas? Because I have looked into those lately!

dannybgoode
11-06-16, 01:15 PM
Are those also known as Solomon ground boas? Because I have looked into those lately!

They're exactly it mink. Very cool. It you get a neonate make sure it's feeding as if CB 100% of them need assisting for the first few months. A real pain to get going then they're eating machines (albeit very very slow metabolism so easy to over.feed).

The reason I waited for this girl is the breeder wanted to be 100% she'd take f/t with no issues. Few breeders work with them because they require a lot of work but don't attract a high price tag.

Great snakes though. Everyone I know with one really rates them.

richardhind
11-06-16, 02:00 PM
Wow very impressive,can't believe how small she is,small things and all that, great markings aswell,look forward to see her pics as she grows up on here
Congrats

dannybgoode
11-06-16, 02:31 PM
Thanks guys-I'm made up with her and the breeder is a really nice kid so happy to support him. He has some real nice FWC's that I'm tempted by also.

Should get to a reasonably chunky 3-4'. They have quite rough scales that leach the trains tannins front leaves and pick up the soil etc to become more camouflaged then brighten right up after shed and then repeat.

Oddly given their common name (Solomon Island ground boa) they are semi arboreal and as youngsters more permanently so. Daphne is in the branches as we speak-no sign of hiding.

I also picked up a rather natty enclosure for her than was around the equivalent of $25. Was going to stick with a RUB for now but saw this at the show and thought why not. Will post pics when I've smartened it up after quarantine.

toddnbecka
11-06-16, 06:57 PM
Very nice light brown shades on yours, I've hardly seen two that look the same yet. Seems to be an endless variety of color shadings among them. The eyes are fantastic, and I think they're called ground boas to differentiate them from the Solomon Island tree boas that are a more arboreal species. From what I've read it seems the babies are more inclined to live under leaf litter and prefer somewhat cooler temps than larger juveniles or adults.

sirtalis
11-06-16, 10:07 PM
Wow, I really like the eyes, especially how the blend in with the rest of the body's coloration

dannybgoode
11-06-16, 11:09 PM
Very nice light brown shades on yours, I've hardly seen two that look the same yet. Seems to be an endless variety of color shadings among them. The eyes are fantastic, and I think they're called ground boas to differentiate them from the Solomon Island tree boas that are a more arboreal species. From what I've read it seems the babies are more inclined to live under leaf litter and prefer somewhat cooler temps than larger juveniles or adults.

Interesting you should not the temperature. The breeder has noticed a high mortality rate if neonates/juveniles are kept with a warm end any hotter than 26c (around 79f).

They also get lethargic and overweight if they do not have plenty of opportunities to climb.

Re: the colours-yes I noticed that with the other snakes the breeder had. Some were very dark, some with little pattern contrast etc. I really like the paler ones anyway abbe as luck would have it that's what I got.

Tsubaki
11-07-16, 12:34 AM
She looks great! Candoia really are underrated:D

SnakeyJay
11-07-16, 12:39 AM
Wicked pickup mate, I know you've been waiting a few months to get this one... It's a shame I couldn't go this time dude, hopefully catch you at the next one :D

dannybgoode
11-07-16, 01:14 AM
[QUOTE=SnakeyJay;1009238]Wicked pickup mate, I know you've been waiting a few months to get this one... It's a shame I couldn't go this time dude, hopefully catch you at the next one :D[/QUOTE

Hopefully I'll be down to pick up a little something from you well before next one :).

Show was pretty good. Usual moaning that there was nothing interesting but 90% of people who go have no idea what's interesting and what's not!

dannybgoode
11-20-16, 12:28 PM
So I've changed Daphne's setup from quarantine spec to pretty OK spec. Nice ecoearth type substrate with a layer of leaf litter. As I grow bonsai I've been able to keep the leaves to scale!

Then a fake vine with plenty of fake plants, some bark and cork hides and Bob's your uncle.

My hatred of under tank heat mats is well documented so I've managed to source a nano ceramic heater. Bulb is a mere 20W and works a treat. Just need to work out how to squeeze in a UV source.

She's proving difficult to get feeding and I'm hoping this new setup will be preferable to her.

I'm pretty pleased with how its turned out. Bear in mind this viv is tiny 1'x1'x9"! The snake is tiny also-she will of course get an upgrade when needed.

toddnbecka
11-20-16, 02:13 PM
Plenty of cover in the mini jungle setup, but why are you wanting a UV bulb? Snakes don't normally require those, unlike other reptiles.

dave himself
11-20-16, 02:28 PM
Another post I missed first time round lol tiny but lovely wee boa mate and that's a class setup you have for her

dannybgoode
11-20-16, 02:32 PM
Plenty of cover in the mini jungle setup, but why are you wanting a UV bulb? Snakes don't normally require those, unlike other reptiles.

Plenty of research suggests they do hugely benefit from UV whilst perhaps not strictly needing it as such. Looking at the evidence pretty much all reptiles and amphibians thrive when provided with it.

My boa imperator is out basking under hers all the time and her skin is of the scale colour and condition wise. My carpet dabbles but not to the same extent.

I've been chatting to several herpitologists herpetologists who have done a significant amount of work in this area to the extent that none of my setups will be without it.

Proper shade and the ability to photo-regulate is a must. Much more so than with lizards.

I posted a paper on the subject in the general section a couple of weeks ago

richardhind
11-20-16, 07:01 PM
Love her set up,she's so well camouflaged,her eyes are just so amazing

dannybgoode
11-20-16, 11:40 PM
Another post I missed first time round lol tiny but lovely wee boa mate and that's a class setup you have for her

Thanks Dave. She's very tiny! And being a bugger about her food. The breeder got her strike feeding for me but they're renowned for being really hard to get going. 100% pretty much of babies need assist feeding for a few weeks at least. I'm hoping the new environment will calm her. The quarantine setup I don't think was to her liking.

dannybgoode
11-20-16, 11:43 PM
Love her set up,she's so well camouflaged,her eyes are just so amazing

Thanks Richard. I'm trying to see just how far you can push a very small setup.

Once she's decided to eat I'm going to try and find some locality live plants for it.

Getting the uv in there is number one priority though as this particular species has been show to actively seek it when provided and plants will need light in any event.

dave himself
11-21-16, 02:12 AM
Thanks Dave. She's very tiny! And being a bugger about her food. The breeder got her strike feeding for me but they're renowned for being really hard to get going. 100% pretty much of babies need assist feeding for a few weeks at least. I'm hoping the new environment will calm her. The quarantine setup I don't think was to her liking.

Just a suggestion but you could try blacking out three sides of her glass viv, I know you've plenty of cover for her put it could make her feel just that bit more secure and get her eating for you :)

dannybgoode
11-21-16, 03:03 AM
Just a suggestion but you could try blacking out three sides of her glass viv, I know you've plenty of cover for her put it could make her feel just that bit more secure and get her eating for you :)

Thanks Dave-yes I have considered that. She was in a similar setup for the breeder and feed fine. She's also now up against a wall in a corner so pretty enclosed now so I'm hoping all these changes will get her comfortable.

I'm in regular contact with the breeder also and he's guiding me through next steps etc although having to assist wouldn't surprise me and is something I'm prepared for although of course I'm hoping next feeding day she just takes :)

dave himself
11-21-16, 08:42 AM
Thanks Dave-yes I have considered that. She was in a similar setup for the breeder and feed fine. She's also now up against a wall in a corner so pretty enclosed now so I'm hoping all these changes will get her comfortable.

I'm in regular contact with the breeder also and he's guiding me through next steps etc although having to assist wouldn't surprise me and is something I'm prepared for although of course I'm hoping next feeding day she just takes :)

Hopefully it works for you mate and she eats keep us posted on how she's getting on

dannybgoode
11-21-16, 08:59 AM
Hopefully it works for you mate and she eats keep us posted on how she's getting on

If I can ever find her in there again!

dave himself
11-21-16, 11:19 AM
If I can ever find her in there again!

Good luck with that mate :D

sirtalis
11-21-16, 11:31 AM
Looking good man! And good luck with the feeding

dannybgoode
03-24-17, 03:02 PM
Quick update on Daphne. She's a beautiful snake to be sure but an utter pain in the behind!

Still tiny and still being sadist fed-completely normal for this species; they're just utterly disinterested in food! Once they get going they're machines but that 'getting going' can take over a year.

Otherwise she's very healthy and I'll post an updated pic soon.

EL Ziggy
03-24-17, 03:27 PM
I'm glad she's coming along well for you Danny. Slow and steady wins the race. :)

dannybgoode
03-24-17, 03:34 PM
I'm glad she's coming along well for you Danny. Slow and steady wins the race. :)

Just wish she'd eat on her own accord! Odd things - they will literally starve to death for no other reason than they just don't know what food is!

In the wild litter sizes are around 80 but with a surgical rate of just 5-10% because most of the babies just crawl away and starve being otherwise perfectly healthy...

sattva
03-24-17, 03:51 PM
Very cool little girl Danny!... Is she a dwarf?

EL Ziggy
03-24-17, 03:54 PM
That's weird that an animal would starve itself to death even when consistently being offered food. I didn't think that was possible. I know their primary diet in the wild includes frogs and lizards. Have you tried scenting with either of those or offered them as food?

dannybgoode
03-24-17, 03:54 PM
Very cool little girl Danny!... Is she a dwarf?

Nope-they are tiny as babies -3" long or so and thinner than a pencil. Females with eventually (and assuming they don't starve themselves to death) reach 3-4', males 2-3'.

Fascinating snakes but an utter pain in the early days-easy they are not...

dannybgoode
03-24-17, 03:57 PM
That's weird that an animal would starve itself to death even when consistently being offered food. I didn't think that was possible. I know their primary diet in the wild includes frogs and lizards. Have you tried scenting with either of those or offered them as food?

I know-possibly unique in the animal world. I know people who have had some luck feeding lizards but it's by no means a certainty.

Once they're feeding they don't stop but getting them there, well...

richardhind
03-25-17, 12:55 AM
I've been wondering she has been doing,can't wait to see more pics

BillyCostume
03-26-17, 04:31 PM
She's beautiful, I hope she feeds for you. Best of luck :)

dannybgoode
04-11-17, 01:25 PM
Managed to grab a couple photos of her last night. Believe it not she's getting up to a foot or so but still pencil thin. She's in very good health and is surprisingly strong for her size.

Love her to bits...

http://www.dannybower.co.uk/photos/Paulsoni1.jpg
http://www.dannybower.co.uk/photos/Paulsoni2.jpg

GyGbeetle
04-11-17, 01:37 PM
That is by-far the smallest, cutest little boa I've ever seen (of course aside from my own babies). How is she doing now? Still having feeding difficulty?

dannybgoode
04-11-17, 01:44 PM
That is by-far the smallest, cutest little boa I've ever seen (of course aside from my own babies). How is she doing now? Still having feeding difficulty?

Yes she's an utter pain but all the more rewarding for it.

My local store may be getting some feeder lizards in so may try her with one and/or try scenting a pinkie.

I know once she hits a certain age she'll become an eating machine. It's just getting her there that's the challenge!

GyGbeetle
04-11-17, 01:59 PM
Yes she's an utter pain but all the more rewarding for it.

My local store may be getting some feeder lizards in so may try her with one and/or try scenting a pinkie.

I know once she hits a certain age she'll become an eating machine. It's just getting her there that's the challenge!

If she's got good growth, that's always a positive. She's lucky to have such a patient human with her.

dannybgoode
04-11-17, 02:13 PM
If she's got good growth, that's always a positive. She's lucky to have such a patient human with her.

Patience was a prerequisite of ownership. The breeder made sure I knew exactly what I was taking on. He did actually have her strike feeding on FT pinks but then she changed her mind.

Impossibly cute though :)

richardhind
04-12-17, 01:29 AM
i just love how camouflaged she is ,you can hardly see her eyes.
hope she starts to feed soon for you.
good job shes in good hands

dannybgoode
05-03-17, 12:49 PM
Sadly Daphne has died. Shortly after I posted the last update she regurged her next meal and then went into hiding for a couple of weeks and then reappeared shortly after we moved only to promptly die.

I guess the stress of the move was too much for her :(

saturnascends
05-03-17, 12:55 PM
She's so tiny! Congrats, she's beautiful.

dannybgoode
05-03-17, 01:10 PM
She's so tiny! Congrats, she's beautiful.

She's also unfortunately now dead! But thanks - she was a pretty thing just didn't have the strength to survive in the end.

richardhind
05-03-17, 02:07 PM
So sorry to hear that Danny,you tried your best to get her feeding,she was deffinetly in the best hands

saturnascends
05-03-17, 02:23 PM
She's also unfortunately now dead! But thanks - she was a pretty thing just didn't have the strength to survive in the end.

Wow - that's what I get for not reading a thread to the end. I'm terribly sorry!

TeamSlitherin
05-10-17, 12:58 AM
I'm so sorry to hear that! She was an incredibly beautiful animal. And in some seriously patient hands. :(

dave himself
05-10-17, 01:13 AM
Sorry for your loss mate :(

dannybgoode
05-10-17, 02:11 AM
Thanks Dave. I guess have the odd difficult baby die is something I'll have to get used to if and when I start breeding.

She seemed to be doing ok until the move but I guess she wasn't as strong as she appeared.

dave himself
05-10-17, 04:24 AM
Thanks Dave. I guess have the odd difficult baby die is something I'll have to get used to if and when I start breeding.

She seemed to be doing ok until the move but I guess she wasn't as strong as she appeared.

It happens to the best of us mate, we get loads of people bringing sick reptiles into the shop. Sometimes we get them back to health and other times it just doesn't work out, I've seen the owner spend money on vet fee's for animals that weren't even his. I've personaly lost a few animals I've took on because people have brought them in in a terrible state, but it doesn't make it any easier. You did all you could for her that's the main thing :)

toddnbecka
05-11-17, 12:49 AM
I lost my baby milk snake the same way last year, seemed to be going fine until it regurged a meal then died the following week. In spite of how well we care for them, some just aren't destined to make it in the long run.