PDA

View Full Version : Western vs madagascan hognose temperament?

Sevvy
09-12-16, 04:23 PM
While I probably won't be getting a hognose anytime soon due to my roommate's bee sting allergy, I think they're super cool snakes. Something I've been wondering for a while now is whether the madagascan hognose has as much personality as the western variety. Can anyone here weigh in on it?

Minkness
09-12-16, 04:38 PM
I can't really answer the question, but I can say that I don't thinknyoyr roommate's allergy has anythong to do with you getting a hoggie. It's a different chemical compound. So, while someone may react to hognose vemon 'like' a bee sting and may have an alergy to the venom, it doesn't mean that ine has anything to do with the other.

pet_snake_78
09-12-16, 09:35 PM
The madagascar hognose hiss alot and while I could handle them, I don't think they are a great snake for that purpose and most of them come in WC with multiple parasites so you'd need to treat them and take them to a vet which is going to wind up being pretty expensive way more than the snake itself likely. It took about 8 weeks, numerous rounds of fecal exams, and 2 medications for me to get fully and consistently clean fecals from my WC pair LLLreptile has some captive born males if you're truly interested.