PDA

View Full Version : Anyone keep Langaha nasuta?

Matt
02-24-03, 11:04 PM
Just wondering if anyone has any experience keeping, or knows if anyone has kept <i>Langaha nasuta</i> in the past?

Just looking for a bit of info, so if anyone knows of anything, please let me know

thanks all.

BWSmith
02-25-03, 10:04 AM
Never kept them. All I know is that they are lizard eaters. I have no idea how hard they are to keep.

ETET
02-25-03, 05:24 PM
My friend used to keep a pair of langaha nasuta (Madagascar Leaf-nosed snake) 3-4 years ago. Info :

Housing: 40gal. tank with screen top. Substrate- garden soil with life plant and branches.

Temp/humidity:Temp around 25-26C in day time with 12 hrs photo-period 365days. Heating with a spot light and spray twice a day.

Food: anoles twice a week, my friend seldom see them eat with someone nearby, but the anoles gone in a day or two.

Behaviour: I saw the snakes not moving mostly and blend with the environment like a branch; but they move more at night.

Handling: these are rear fanged snakes around 3 ft long and my friend handled them with heavy duty leather gloves. He said they are not too aggressive and bite occassionally.

Reproduction: After one winter, my friend found one dead egg in the substrate but no copulation was ever seen.

Longetivity?: the snake last for around 3 yrs, every time I saw the snakes they looks healthy with no sign of parasites at all ( my friend checked the stool is normal). One day the male died without any reason and then the female died after 2 months.

Comments: the above info is from the only two specimens and the person kept them I know. I never keep these species before and the info is the experience of my friend who kept these snakes for 3 yrs. A very interesting species and I want to keep a pair too, but my friend told me the dealer said is very difficult to get any more of this species. Still miss them!

Hope this may help you Matt, may be someone keep this species can give you some more info. If you need more info, I can ask my friend again.

ETET

Feed'em All
02-25-03, 09:08 PM
Here in my country a different snake (philodryas baroni) get the exact same look of the malagasy snakes u r looking info, and they are rodent eaters, I know ppl that even breed those ones.
Anyway, just a comment.
Bye! Martin.

Matt
02-25-03, 09:12 PM
ETET, wow, thanks for all that info, couldnt find that much info on them.
I may take you up on that additional info offer sometime....

thanks so much!

Matt
02-25-03, 09:25 PM
thanks Martin, Ive looked at philodryas baroni as well, but they are pretty tough to get a hold of!
thanks

Feed'em All
02-27-03, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by Matt
but they are pretty tough to get a hold of!

Sorry Matt, but my english isnīt as good as it used to be, what did you mean?
By the way, a friens o mine breeded p.baroni last year, maybe next year, if you are interested...
Bye, Martin.

Matt
02-27-03, 10:48 AM
hey martin, I just meant that they arent available for sale all that often!
hey, if your friend is breeding them, I would DEFINIETLY be interested in a pair....if they could export from argentina to canada, I would buy them forsure!

thanks Martin!

Feed'em All
02-27-03, 04:19 PM
I guess he's just a hobbist, and havenīt ever export, but I'll comment your interest to him.
Take care, Martin

Matt
03-01-03, 07:37 AM