PDA

View Full Version : water monitors

monitor boy
02-24-03, 09:12 PM
i was just wondering what peoples opinions are on water monitors cuz i am very interested in getting one so i would like to see peoples enclosures and full grown monitors and i was just looking for opinions i have a llot on them but i like personal experience better

Steeve B
02-24-03, 10:07 PM
Hello monitor boy first let me say I really didn’t know what opinion to give a first time salvator keeper, its quit easy to say don’t do this or do that, especially after 20+ years of keeping monitors. But no aim just going to say this, I started with a water monitor; it was a 3 feet WC and it died very quickly in my inexperienced hands. But this didn’t stop me from obtaining an other and a next and so on, just try to guess how many I got before I was able to keep them alive, only then did I realise how big they can get when they where allowed to live long enough to actually grow but not thrive, these where awful years of apprentice indeed, now days you will probably never have to do this again, especially with these forums and peoples chairing there knowledge also books. I do not keep the big waters anymore, but I have to admit they are the culprit to all my monitor experience and fascination, theirs no forgetting these impressive giants, maybe you will out grow them and eventually keep other monitors, but forget them not. Perhaps the only thing I may say to you, read and try to imagine keeping a 6+ feet tame or not, having to feed and handle, cage him. Can you?
Kind regards

Linds
02-25-03, 03:18 PM
I have extremely limited experience with these, as the only waters I dealt with are store hatchlings. Itty bitty little beauties, wish they stayed that size! Unfortunately many of them don't make it in captivity, they seem to be much more sensitive than the savs or other common monitors seen in the trade. I just don't have the means to house a lizard that size, nor would it be safe to be working around a lizard that weighs as much as I do without someone to assist or spot :p They are definitely one of the best looking monitors IMHO :)

ReptiZone
02-27-03, 09:52 AM
all I can say is that a water monitor (varanus salvator)is the second bigest lizard in the world but it has also ben said that they are very easy to make puppy dog tame is it true I am not shour but if you are up for the chalange have fun.:cool:
chondro python

BAZ
03-04-03, 11:52 AM
I would say that the water monitor is my favourite kind of monitor. It is probably my favourite reptile. I have one at the moment which is about 2ft long.

I have seen some very tame ones and seen some really crazy ones too but I have read that generally they can become quite tame with time and work.

With that being said I don't think most people have the ability to keep such a large lizard (it can grow 6 to 8ft in length and is a very bulky animal. Only the Komodo dragon is bigger than the water monitor). A full grown water monitor needs a room sized enclosure not a glass coffin for a slow death. I am getting a 12ft by 7ft room built in the basement of my new home for my salvator and I think this is about minimum size. The animal needs to be able to move about, dig, soak and climb. A happy animal is a healthy animal. Then you have to think about the cost of food and the cost of making one room in your house a tropical temperature. You also have to think about providing a large enough water container (pond) for a 6 to 8ft monitor to soak in. Think about cleaning poop out of a large pond and changing the water.

If you think you can house such a large animal and give it all that it needs then go for it... they are amazing animals :) If not then go for something smaller like a savannah (you should give a 4ft savannah about 8ft by 4ft or space).

The more expensive (and smaller monitors) like Ackies and Black Tree Monitors will actually be cheaper to keep in the longrun.