PDA

View Full Version : Hog Island Boa has mouth "tumor" and RI - Desperate for Answers

Aleta Kane
07-20-16, 09:16 PM
About 5 weeks ago I noticed that my previously perfectly healthy, adopted Hog Island Boa, had a significant amount of bubbles coming from his mouth. I took him right to a vet and started him on the antibiotic Ceftazidime. The vet reviewed his environmental conditions and said they are perfect for him; temps 85-90 degrees, humidity 60%, heat lamp 18 inches, under belly heat, healthy sheds etc. The antibiotic did nothing for him and after about two weeks he developed what looked like mouth rot, this went away after a few days.
The infection continued and the” mouth rot” came back even worse. The vet then put him on Baytril administered by me every 48 hours, it still got worse. I took him to another more experienced vet to get an opinion. The vet thinks that it could be a tumor not mouth rot and wants to do surgery to remove it. He said it is too hard to be mouth rot. The vet is unsure of the type of tumor until a biopsy can be done.
I do not understand how a tumor could have developed in his mouth in a few weeks and previously come and gone. I am very leery to do surgery because this far nothing the vets have done have helped; only made things worse.
Has anyone ever seen or heard of anything like this? Could it be a reaction to the antibiotics? Has anyone had a snake undergo surgery like this?
I am beside myself and desperate for answers. Thank you for any information you can give. Photos below show outside of mouth but not inside.

Albert Clark
07-21-16, 05:51 AM
Wow! Sorry for the dilemma. Do you feed live ? Good thing the husbandry is on point, congrats for that. Is he still on antibiotics? Because reptiles usually harbor illnesses for long periods their rehabilitative and recuperating ability takes longer. I would think the vet would have taken a tissue sample or needle aspiration of the offending area for a specific microscopic analysis of any bacteria or fungus causing the swelling. Unfortunately we are at the mercy of these professionals. Although I would make a choice of who I felt more comfortable with and go with that. We do have to leave these things up to the higher minds of science and hope for a positive outcome. Biopsy will tell alot. As this is really a emergency bc of the location of the pathology and swelling (affecting the airway) I would consider going with the biopsy. Maybe the costs can be negotiated into a payment plan? Good luck and keep the forum updated.

macandchz
07-21-16, 09:47 AM
sorry to hear about this happening to your snake. i hope there will be a good out come. i'll be watching for up-dates.

Ian of Oldham
07-21-16, 11:33 AM
Hope your snake get better soon.

0.1.1 Royals 1. 0 Corns 1.0 Boa 1.0 Carpet, and a Mad Cat

Aleta Kane
07-22-16, 07:11 PM
Thank you all for the kind words and input. I do feed live and he just had his last dose of Baytril yesterday. The vet has not done a culture because of the Baytril. He did look under the microscope but just said there was white blood cells there fighting an infection.

Aleta Kane
08-18-16, 08:14 PM
Just wanted to update everyone Darwin had the "tumor" removed and the histopath came back indicating it is actually a fungal granuloma caused by Cryptococcus neoformans (basically its a fungus). The fungus is commonly found in rotting wood and soil. Darwin has a climbing log and hide that come from tree branch/trunk. Not sure what caused it but will be starting treatment soon. Something to look out for if you are a snake owner. Thank you!

macandchz
08-19-16, 02:00 AM
dear aleta, thank goodness it's something treatable. good advice for all of us. hope everything goes well.

Albert Clark
08-19-16, 11:40 AM
Wow! Great positive news. Thanks for the update.

Perk
09-27-16, 09:08 AM
Glad ur scaled friend will be better soon!!! Good job on taking such good care of him!! He's lucky to have you!!

JellyBean
09-28-16, 12:54 PM
Crypto has been popping up like a vengeance in many different animals the past couple of
Years.
I'm so happy you were able to get things diagnosed and have your baby back on the mend.

Good luck!!