PDA

View Full Version : New tarantula set up

Pixie
02-23-03, 09:42 PM
After four/five hours, I finally got it all together!

http://www.ssnakess.com/photopost/data/500/718newt04.jpg

http://www.ssnakess.com/photopost/data/500/718newt05.jpg

The "base" is a foamarium insert and I use coconut husk bricks for substrate. I love the base because it gives me a full view into her burrow to which there are two entrances.

Hope you like :)

Pixie

Matt_K
02-23-03, 10:16 PM
very cool!!! Almost makes me want one just for the set up!!!! Good work!! :D

Lisa
02-23-03, 10:36 PM
The set up looks like fun. Wonder if snakes would like it (i can't stand spiders).

ballpython5000
02-24-03, 04:41 AM
is that the foam insert from http://www.reptilehavenonline.com
it looks like it without the back part, how does the tarantula get into that hole?

Pixie
02-24-03, 08:18 AM
It looks very much like the same thing and probably is but I did not purchase it from there and their prices are way high!!! 4 times what I paid for mine!!! You can't see the holes very well in the pictures but there are two that she can easily get in and out of.

I found them thanks to another online tarantula lover on another site a while back. They are called foamariums and you can find them on Ebay, just type "foamarium" in the search engine and they will come up. There are different models.

Lisa: I had purchased two 30 gal. size models for my snakes and they absolutely LOVED them. But they are really inconvenient for snakes because of cleaning. Snake messes are much bigger and wetter and will soak down into the foam. Have you any idea how long it take to properly clean on of these foam inserts??? Hours in the tub!!! Hell, I tell you!!!

That's partly why it took me so long to set up this terrarium. The foamarium insert was originaly one for a 30 gal. tank and I cut it down to fit a 10 gal. since I wasn't going to use it for snakes anymore. They are really ideal for tarantulas and I would suspect scorpions would like them too. Maybe leos would be alright too since they only poo in one area.

I'm sure there is a way to make these yourself too. It's a very simple idea. All you would need is a square of foam (upholstery cushion foam should do just fine) and cut out a burrow and some holes. The only hard part would be to find brown foam but you could always paint it with non-toxic acrylic paint.

Pixie

Matt
02-24-03, 11:23 AM
wow...great job on that pixie! very impressive!

nuno
02-24-03, 11:36 AM
Very nice!! :D Love the set-up!!

Edwin
02-24-03, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by Matt_K
very cool!!! Almost makes me want one just for the set up!!!! Good work!! :D

Looks like I am not the only one thinking that lol

Really nice setup, Pixie!!!

Lisa
03-01-03, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by Pixie
Lisa: I had purchased two 30 gal. size models for my snakes and they absolutely LOVED them. But they are really inconvenient for snakes because of cleaning. Snake messes are much bigger and wetter and will soak down into the foam. Have you any idea how long it take to properly clean on of these foam inserts??? Hours in the tub!!! Hell, I tell you!!!

That's partly why it took me so long to set up this terrarium. The foamarium insert was originaly one for a 30 gal. tank and I cut it down to fit a 10 gal. since I wasn't going to use it for snakes anymore. They are really ideal for tarantulas and I would suspect scorpions would like them too. Maybe leos would be alright too since they only poo in one area.

I'm sure there is a way to make these yourself too. It's a very simple idea. All you would need is a square of foam (upholstery cushion foam should do just fine) and cut out a burrow and some holes. The only hard part would be to find brown foam but you could always paint it with non-toxic acrylic paint.

Pixie

Hmmm the cleaning issue doesn't sound good. i think i'll stick with the hollow rock burrows that jeff sells. It's mainly our corns that use them... might try making something for our kings, viper boa's and bloodpython as they like to burrow too. though i don't see the viper boa's using it as they don't even use their hides.

Xetox
03-02-03, 09:42 PM
you can buy those on ebay pretty cheap! looks great but I cant stand spiders :)

Pixie
03-02-03, 11:10 PM
Thank you :D

rethius
03-12-03, 10:08 AM
Cool setup!