PDA

View Full Version : Alright guys I want a Hognose :P

AwesomeGuy376
03-12-16, 12:05 AM
Hehe someones feeling excited :D Just had a few questions. I'm probably gonna wait a month or two before doing this just so I have the research done. (Cause last time I ended up spending WAY too much) Buuuuttt as always i have questions :D. First off, i need a good breeder. Id prefer a female baby Hognose from a reputable breeder. Ive never ordered online, but the prices at my pet shop seem high compared to the wonderful internet. First off, will a 24x18 cage be big enough for this baby? Also, is Snakes at sunset a good source of Hognose? Will eco-earth be a good choice of substrate (I want to stay away from aspen). Any other info is definitely welcome! Thanks!

Minkness
03-12-16, 12:21 AM
Yaaay!!! Another for the hognose fandom!

To help answer some of your questions.

Beware of snakes at sunset. I havent delt with them personally, but have heard aone stories. Please check the BOI on faunaclassifies to make your own decisions. I got 1 of mine from Envy hognose at a con, and the other 4 were craigslist rescues with no linage or info. I believe BHB has some nice babies and I enjoyed working with them.

Size of enclosure will have to grow with the snake. Until she is nearly full grown, I highly suggest smaller tubs. I can grab pics of mine if you like.

Substrate....ecoearth is nice, but gets stuck in their scales. Not sure if it bothers them, but they always look dirty. I like using sanichips as it's easy to clean and you'll be dealing with lots of little poops. I also like reptibark but it's not as easy to clean, but looks nicer.

Also, they tend to like smaller prey items than most would suggest to you. My larger females should be able to take adult mice, but they refuse adult mice and only take hoppers. Working on getting them switched to rats though to provide them a less furry diet, which is better for them, though I hope they are willing to switch it up tonensure full nutrition lol.

AwesomeGuy376
03-12-16, 12:28 AM
I was hoping you would answer actually :D. I wanted to order from BHB but their site says there's no Hognose available so meh. I also dont have a rack system, but i bet i could find a pretty small enclosure about the size of a tub.. and ill use sanichips :D Do you think 2 small pinkies a week would work?

Minkness
03-12-16, 12:36 AM
If you can get them to eat more than once a week, feed them! As babies I would feed them as often as they are willing, and as much as they will take at once. I have 1 male thatwill take 2-3 fuzzies every week without fail, another male only takes one fuzzy a week, and one who was a strong eater, but went off for winter and is slooowly coming back. The females pretty much only eat biweekly. I did not get them as babies though.

Also, you shouldn't need a rack. I don't have a rack, I just have tubs everywhere lol. You can use a uth and just put it directly on a tub. Babies should be kept a bit warmer than most care sheets say.

AwesomeGuy376
03-12-16, 12:44 AM
Oh ok. Still kinda new here so still getting used to the tub idea :P. It makes me nervous idk.. Like what do you use to cover them? Also, ik its a bad idea to use glass, but i found a cheap 12x12 on amazon and id like to be able to see him (ik kinda picky sorry). Also, I had problems with my heat lamp with my boa cause of humidity (Hes under a CHE now and its working wonders), but if i read right, on these they dont need humidity right? And i have an extra heat lamp and could save some money if i used it. But if its still a bad idea then ill stick with a CHE.. Heating pads make me nervous cause ive heard really bad things about them, but i guess if you say so then why not :P

Minkness
03-12-16, 12:55 AM
Well, it is suggested that you use a thermostat with UTHs. And if you REALLY want thay 12x12, get it. It won't hurt. Just make sure you have multiple hides.

Also, all animals need humidity of some kind or another, however Hoggies don't need much. Just keep a medium sized water dish in the cage and mist once ot twice if you see them in blue. This just helps them shed.

AwesomeGuy376
03-12-16, 12:58 AM
Alright, but i DO have a glass desk and ive heard of glass cracking under heat. Now if it doesnt, this will save me tons of money to use the UTH.. Is zoo meds uth good? and would i need one or two? I love the price getting cheaper :D that means i get it sooner :P Down to $180 worth of supplies beside the snake

Minkness
03-12-16, 01:01 AM
Well, you can put something between the desk and tank. Or just get little 'feet' since the uth should stick to rhe bottom of the tank. So like, getting 4 coasters for the corners to just lift the tank up a bit.

All of my UTHs are zoomed. I got one with a used tank that no longer worked, but all the ones I personally bought have been great. =)

AwesomeGuy376
03-12-16, 01:04 AM
So all i have to do is have one under the tank and done? Cause it can get cold here in texas believe it or not :P

Minkness
03-12-16, 01:09 AM
Well, I'm sure you don't let it get too cold in the actual house. Just make aure you have a hide over the warm spot. This helps hold in the heat. So ues, just 1 should be fine. What are your average ambient temps?

AwesomeGuy376
03-12-16, 01:10 AM
I'd say lowest the room gets in winter could be 68. Highest summer could be up to 85

Minkness
03-12-16, 01:14 AM
You may need another CHE for winter. My ambient temps flux between 75-80 and the UTH is usually between 95-98.

AwesomeGuy376
03-12-16, 01:19 AM
Yea i figured.. Still have those extra heat lamps laying around though and they pack a good amount of heat in em, think it would be okay? Cause his cage isnt gonna be nearly as big as the constrictors

Minkness
03-12-16, 01:24 AM
You can actually use a dimmer on the heat lamps to lower the temps. (Just recently learned this!)

So, if you are seeing the humidity too low and the ambients too high just use a dimmer. It will lower the heat and allow for a bit more humidity. =)

AwesomeGuy376
03-12-16, 01:27 AM
thats really good to know :D

Minkness
03-12-16, 01:34 AM
I thought so too!

Also, just curious. But why a female over a male?

AwesomeGuy376
03-13-16, 01:25 AM
I kinda wanted a bigger snake and also i have a male boa, so just change things up a bit. Also, just as an update, ive ordered all her stuff and will be going to the local reptile shop to put her on hold :D just 2 weeks from now and ill have a Hoggie :D

Minkness
03-13-16, 07:49 AM
Yay! !! Can't wait to see her!

EL Ziggy
03-13-16, 09:33 AM
Congrats AG. New snakes are always GREAT!

Minkness
03-13-16, 09:57 AM
Especially Hognoses and Carpets ;)

Andy_G
03-13-16, 10:32 AM
1 or 2 small food items every 4 days for hatchlings and neonates is a great schedule. Sounds like Mink has got ya covered ;). Congrats on the new addition!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v366/Andy_G/Western%20hognoses/DSC03316.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Andy_G/media/Western%20hognoses/DSC03316.jpg.html)

EL Ziggy
03-13-16, 10:39 AM
Beautiful hoggie and great picture Andy.

Minkness
03-13-16, 10:40 AM
Oh wow, that is a gorgeous extreme red!

Pogie
03-13-16, 12:47 PM
Ohhhhhh! Love hognoses! That is one pretty snake :)
I would love to have one but alas in IL we can't have them :(
Grats on your new snake!