PDA

View Full Version : Quarantining

Zoe
02-22-03, 04:35 PM
Just curious as to what everyone's opinions are when it comes to quarantining newly acquired herps!

Zoe

marisa
02-22-03, 04:56 PM
I keep my new arrivals in another room and I use different hooks, tongs, etc for them. I keep them seperate from my reptile room for like 2 months + or whenever it looks like they are doing just fine.

I have had one WC snake that I never allowed in my reptile room even after months and months of having him, it must have been like 5-6 months,,,,which worked out well in a way since he ended up dying. Probably not of something that would pass but you never know.

marisa

KaHane
02-22-03, 08:57 PM
Quarantining is a MUST, we are very strict about new animals that comes to us and will not chance anything. I wrote discussion about this on one of the earlier threads and Believe QUARANTINING is a must:)

Linds
02-24-03, 11:17 AM
I quarantine all animals for 3-12 months, depending on species and situation. I treat most animals for internal parasites, and pretreat all for mites.

nuno
02-24-03, 11:31 AM
I feel that quarentining is a must due to the fact parasites and disease are out there. I take no chance with my animals cause it takes one slip up to kill you entire collection.

Nuno

eyespy
02-24-03, 12:01 PM
90 days bare minimum for me, longer if it's a rescue or I have reasons to be concerned about disease. I prefer not to pretreat for parasites but do fecals every 2 weeks until I get either 3 clean or find something to treat.

If there were parasites, the quarantine is 90 days after third clean fecal.

I run a rescue and so I take no chances with the health of my pets or the animals temporarily under my care.

BWSmith
02-24-03, 12:31 PM
I always treat for parasites and quarentine when new arrivals come in. I don't have a separate room or anything, just separate housing a ways away from the rest. As far as mites, every substrate change for every animal gets a dose of permethrin.

BurmBaroness
02-24-03, 06:39 PM
Quarantine and treatment are necessities

Xetox
02-28-03, 11:23 AM
I treat all new arivals as if they would have mites!

Here is a great article of why I do this! http://www.proexotics.com/FAQ_answers_get_rid_of_mites.html